advice on equipment for frag tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by packerfreak25, Sep 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. packerfreak25

packerfreak25 Bristle Worm

so if I had 2 par 38s from orphek in a 20 long would that be enough lighting for acros. And where can i find a good um um how do i say this a good thing you plug the bulb into

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Aren't par 38 bulbs over $100 each? Plus you need a decent receptacle to put it in.
    ... I'm thinking you'd be better off with a 2 or 4 bulb T5HO fixture.
    A 20 long is 30" I believe so you would need to go for a 24" fixture.
    If you put ATI bulbs in it, you'll be able to grow, anything, anything.

4. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

I use a simple fixture with a 10' cord so I have plenty of cord to reach my outlets available at any hardware store. Or if you prefer, you can use a drafting table lamp. Also IKEA has some good fixtures that are not too expensive. Two par 38's should be enough for a 20L, I had to move my birds nest down some because it was starting to bleach some.

The only thing with the par 38's especially if you have 60 degree optics is they tend to spotlight and you will have areas of shadow/intense light depending on where you place them. You may need to raise them off the top of the water quite a bit to get even coverage.

And I suppose my frag tank has turned into a reef tank of sorts but I still believe the basics like LR and CUC are important for a frag tank as well as any other tank.

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes the initial cost of the lights are a bit more, but you don't have to worry about replacing the bulbs, no heat transfer to your tank, and they only use 20 watts of power a piece! If you can find some used you can get them for even less, I paid $60 for mine and they were less than 1 year old! I figure I have at least 4 more years worth of use out of them. I will break even after 1 year of use and that is not counting the energy savings! IMO, they can't be beat for a frag tank!

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I concede, points taken. :-X

8. Click Here!

9. packerfreak25

so could i Have 2 par 30s and still get birdsnest and acros.

10. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

yes the led lights will grow anything including clams ;D

t5 lights are not bad either but they do use more electricty and do have heat transfer, however they do allow for more of light color customizing than some of the non dimmable leds.

for a 20 long the lighting is a prefrence, as far as the skimmer, powerheads go I would get a decent skimmer that is 20 gallons rated over your actual tank size and powerheads that you can get a controller for later just to make the SPS happier.

my 2 cents

11. packerfreak25

even par 30s wow that would be less than 240 dollars

12. packerfreak25