Advice! CO2 off the chart on my well water to RODI

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mdbostwick, Jul 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes I would. The savings in DI replacements will be tremendous.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Thank you for your advice!

4. mdbostwick

Tell me if you think this would work.

A PVC pipe capped on both ends

one hole at the top for RO water, one for airline from pump, and a hole to vent the air.

a line coming out somewhere in the middle going to the di chamber and that high enough to gravity feed into the di chamber, then the di chamber would have to gravity feed lower than it sets as well, correct?

Any design flaw? I am really trying to not have to add a pump other than the air pump.

Tips, suggestions, criticisms welcome

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Take a look on the Spectrapure site under their FAQ section and calculating CO2. They have a very good simple design that is easy and cheap to construct with a few $$ of PVC parts nd an old air pump and stone. It can be gravity fed so no water pump is necessary.

mdbostwick likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

I am worried about this overflowing. I guess i just don't trust the outflow into the di cartridge.

Do you think this will work or do you think i should change anything?

[​IMG]

The part on the side is the outflow, there are 3 holes on top one from airpump, one from RO outflow, and one larger for vent with some filterfloss to keep dust and other crud from going into the chamber.

How much higher should i make the outflow from this chamber to the inlet of the DI cartridge. The spectrapure page I found didn't give much info on gravity fed.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I thnk it looks good. The height really isn't critical as long as you let gravity do its work. A 75-90 GPD RO membrane is only making a couple ounces a minute so overflowing isn't goint to happen.

mdbostwick likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I just wanted to say that this is one of those "I'm keeping for later" threads. I love seeing this info getting hashed out and is a simple solution.

thanks!

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. mdbostwick

Well I finally got it all hooked up. Seems to be working and I am getting 0 TDS. Much better than what I was getting. I will report back here when i feel it is either working for me or not.

11. mdbostwick

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who may be thinking of building one of these.

First off, best decision i have made since buying an RODI unit. I have to start the gravity feed manually each time i turn it on but it has been doing great.

Prior to using this with new DI resin, i would get about 50 gallons of 0tds water and it would creep up to about 14 by 150 gallons.

I have to be getting close to 200 gallons right now and still have 0tds coming out.

If CO2 is killing your DI resin, don't hesitate, make one of these asap. Pipe and fitting cost me less than $10 and got a cheap air pump and stone on Amazon pretty cheap. Now my DI resin is lasting as long as it should.

Thanks for the advice @AZDesertRat