Adequate SPS flow

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Oct 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

SO... the new controllers have three different output voltage settings. they have a low, mid and high. if your controller doesnt have that then its the older controller. mine are the older model ones so I purchased the dimmable input from Fishstreet, it is basically an adjustable laptop style power supply.

Enjoy your WP25. they are nice items. I am waiting For a WP10 to come available

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

s1, s2 and s3?

I am disappointed that when the power fails, the unit reverts to the first setting. My power cut out today and it reverted to H1. I came home to sand all over my rock. I think my ammonia is spiking as a result.

4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

5. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hmm, i have not had this issue. Always reverts right back to what i had it set on.

On a negative note though, my controller fell in the tank Saturday(my fault). I was not home and found it when i got home from work. I unplugged it and went to pull it out of the tank. Well, whatever is inside the controller got dissolved by saltwater and a bunch of dark cloudy blue/gray water poured out of the controller into the tank when i tried to remove it. Then, the power cord got stuck so the nasty muck just kept pouring into my tank. Luckily i have a grounding probe so nothing got shocked.

Also lucky, i had just replaced my ROX carbon the day before. I did not have water for a water change, so i just dumped in some prime, turned up the skimmer, drank some beer, cried, and went to bed hoping everything would be ok. When i went to bed, the water was cloudy but everything was still happy. SPS all had full PE, inverts still acting normal, etc. The next morning, the water was crystal clear like nothing had happened. WHEW!

New controller and a second wp25 are on the way from fish-street : )

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

So, I bought this same LED dimmer as in this link. I used it to put my WP40 on else mode, but a slower flow. I took it off the other day as I noticed my speed settings weren't showing up. I could still change my wave types, just not my speed. Then two days later, I couldn't change the wave types, it's just stuck to on. The dimmer still works, I just get no waves anymore.

I don't know if it was because of the dimmer, or the controller. I contacted fish-street and for 2$ they are sending me a new controller, no questions asked.

No big deal in the long run, but I wanted to put this out here on what happened to mine. I'm kinda bummed, I liked the else mode, but the S3 was still just a bit too much flow... oh well. There are plenty other ways to skin a cat.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Strange. The only issue I had was when my power reset and the speed setting defaulted back to constant current. Sand was everywhere.

8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

It could just have been something with mine... I just figured I'd say something. I'm not sure about using it on my new controller.