Adequate Lighting for 36 Gallon Bowfront

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by FireFish, Dec 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FireFish

FireFish Astrea Snail

Hello all,

I recently set up a 36 gallon tank. As of right now I have about 17 - 18 pounds of live rock, with the intention of purchasing more. Once I get more live rock I want to start adding corals. I am running an Aquasun T5 HO 30" which fits my set up perfectly. I have a 10,000k bulb and a 420nm actinic bulb. What corals could I keep effectively?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You should be able to keep just about anything you want as long as you make sure to place it on your rocks based on the coral's light needs.

4. FireFish

FireFish Astrea Snail

So basically high light corals, LPS if I'm not mistaken, to the top of the rocks and lower light corals, soft corals to the bottom, with SPS in the middle?

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Most sps need more light and flow,lps less,some softies like more light than others so you have to research the requirements of each.When choosing corals it's also good to have an idea of the exspected growth rate and the room needed so your tank doesn't become overgrown.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't keep sps with a 2 bulb T5HO. Try to upgrade the bulbs to ATI or other high quality bulbs