Addressing Bryopsis with a Magnesium dose

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bigdubb, Jul 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My Mg tests should be arriving early next week. Once I receive those, I'll start my process of increasing the Mg. If that doesn't work, or the Bryopsis comes back I"ll give the Kent Tech M a shot.

In the interim, I pulled out some easily accessible rock tonight and gave it a good scrubbing. For some reason the diatoms on a few specific pieces of rock weren't clearing up. After a local reef enthusiasts meeting today, it was suggested to me to just give the rock a scrub. I was able to get some of the larger pieces scrubbed off. It'll be interesting to see if they take hold again.

2. Click Here!

3. bigdubb

My Mg tests should be arriving early next week. Once I receive those, I'll start my process of increasing the Mg. If that doesn't work, or the Bryopsis comes back I"ll give the Kent Tech M a shot.

In the interim, I pulled out some easily accessible rock tonight and gave it a good scrubbing. For some reason the diatoms on a few specific pieces of rock weren't clearing up. After a local reef enthusiasts meeting today, it was suggested to me to just give the rock a scrub. I was able to get some of the larger pieces scrubbed off. It'll be interesting to see if they take hold again.

4. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

you should not scrub any of the rock with Bryopsis on it. That will just cause it to spread more.

5. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

I have seen almost everyone is suffering from this algae problem, but this magnesium is not the perfect solution for them as it will affect on the coral as well.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 you do have to dose carefully and per instructions. You must test also. Not a cure all for sure

7. bigdubb

Just a follow up on this for me. I don't know what happened in my tank but all of the Byropsis disappeared. I changed my GFO from a mixed media to one dedicated for GFO.

I also added some emerald crabs, I don't know if this did anything, I don't recall reading anything about crabs eating that.

So, in short, problem resloved. For now. :D