additional live rock after cycling?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by REEFerMADNESS88, Oct 14, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. REEFerMADNESS88

REEFerMADNESS88 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello all, I was just wondering if its a good idea to add a little additional live rock after the tank is established. Are there any potential adverse effects besides the addition of some hitch hikers?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

While adding lr will certainly not hurt anything.Hitchhikers can be disastrous. You could add some dry rock to be safe.

4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would add dry rock as well. Sure it's white - but over time - faster than you think - it will turn into live rock. I did my tank with mostly dry rock and some live rock from another tank - and today - there is no way you would be able to tell which piece was live originally vs. dry. Remember with reef keeping - patience is a must.

Also if you add live rock to a newly cycled tank - you have the potential to overload the newly established biological filter you created with your cycle - and send the tank back into a mini-cycle.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would add dry rock as well. Sure it's white - but over time - faster than you think - it will turn into live rock. I did my tank with mostly dry rock and some live rock from another tank - and today - there is no way you would be able to tell which piece was live originally vs. dry. Remember with reef keeping - patience is a must.

Also if you add live rock to a newly cycled tank - you have the potential to overload the newly established biological filter you created with your cycle - and send the tank back into a mini-cycle.

6. REEFerMADNESS88

awesome thanks for the advice guys

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

as long as you know the risk of hitchhikers - you can put in additional live rock - I like to add pieces periodically for biological diversity

8. REEFerMADNESS88

that was my thinking im a big fan of diversity however it is a 2.5 pico so i am wary of the bio-load.

9. Click Here!

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh, DOH! I forgot it was a pico

11. REEFerMADNESS88

yeah just trying to get a cave going on the other side of the tank for the gramma maybe ill just stick with dry rock to be safe