Adding Tang and rock at same time

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Robman, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I have always wanted a Naso Tang. I have 3 others. Blue,Powdwer Brown and Yellow--I am about to add 50 lbs of Live Rock I have been curing. Should i add the Tang at this time to confuse everyone or is that upsetting the balance of the tank too much. I am at 5 mo and very stable. I do things slower than most.

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I don't think it will make a difference as far as "confusing" the tangs go. There will always be a disagreement to start with at first when it comes to tangs.

In a 150 though I believe they will eventually get over it.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would think that you are going to supply a "less than desirable" scenario with adding the l/r and the fish at the same time. You are already confronted with adding a fish that is known for it's susceptibility for not taking stress very well. Couple this with the chemistry change in your water with the amount of l/r may spark a thread in the fish health section. It's one of those things that may/may not become a problem, but, you won't know until it is. Acclimate the fish and give it a little time whilst keeping an eye on it. Then slowly add your l/r at the appropriate rate. Depending on your tank stability and an overall health of the new fish, this may take shorter/longer. I would worry about the chemistry of the water over a potential squabble that will probably only last a few hours.......................

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would add the tang first and only rearrange rock work if they fight, in my experience naso seldom have problems with other types of tangs. probably because there just so different looking

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, you are not slow.......to the contrary, if more aquarists would be as patient, they would encounter less adversity with their tanks. I would add the rock first along with live bacteria at double the marine dose. When you are sure you are through the mini cycle (that may or may not happen) then add your new fish. No sense in risking ich by altering both the chemistry of the tank, via the new rock, and the dichotomy of the tank via the new fish.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Add the rock allow it time to spike and mess with the water and allow the bacteria to die off and recolonize to proper levels and then in 3 weeks or so get a tang. One fish can stress a established system for a few weeks and a 50 lbs of new live rock can totally mess it up.throw it all into a tailspin..

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Agreed. Definitely would not do both at the same time. 50lbs is a lot of rock to add in and of itself. Will be great to have it in the tank, but the addition may be traumatic at first to the tank.

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I guess my only question about the rock is he says it's cured. How long has it been curing? If it's cured doesn't that mean that any die off has been taken care of and all that jazz? Meaning it's "cycled" rock?

I've never cured rock before or dealt with anything like that so I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to that.

11. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Even if it is cured, its still adding a lot of net new bio-mass to the tank. I am always of the opinion - take it slow and safe. Doesn't take much to knock a reef tank out of whack - even with a relatively large water volume (180 gallon system in this case)

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Absolutely.