Adding more LEDs for better spectrum

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Biocube, Sep 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Lol.. good deal. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Just curious why you are increasing the spectrum in which is supposed to be lacking? At the depths corals are collected the 500-600 spectrum is filtered out. Aren't you now forcing spectrums the corals don't naturally see?

4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

The spectrum is for colors, which they do cause an increase in, and therefore a benefit. So it really doesn't matter if they are exposed to the colors in the wild, but the difference between just targeting growth, and adding colored LEDs is tremendous.

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

fair point. It just is worrisome to see people just randomly firing random numbers of colored leds to add to their setups and not trying to build a light providing optimum color and growth. Importance here is not the color of light coming from your fixture but the colors the corals are reflecting from the proper spectrum's feeding the zooxanthellae emitting their colors.
    I mean look at these two pages
    Orphek Nilus multicolor LED light tested and reviewed over a mature Dutch reef tank
    Welles’ 250 gallon reef from Beijing is stunning even with 10K Metal Halides
    The led light featured has zero green leds, and the other is lit by just 10k halides. The biggest importance is water parameters, and flow and having a light that gives the best spectrum's for color and growth. Adding a whole rainbow of colors isn't going to make your tanks look as good as the two mentioned above.

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

The reason I want a "full" better spectrum is to have what is ever best for my corals. Look at Grimms thread, he is running full LED spectrum and everything looks amazing.

7. Reef Breeders

Don't turn this into a debate, the OP is simply experimenting with the many colors available, and most of them have a considerable effect, not so much 520nm greens, but the 500nm cyans, 660 and 630nm reds, and the 410-425nm violets provide a sizeable benefit. The greens still do a little bit, it is not pointless, and no one knows exactly what causes a coral to color up.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

But my point is your are now adding bad spectrums. I did see grims build. He is using 3 green Leds(I thought he mentioned they were cyan 495nm) in total. On a 210g tank(6ft long) thats with 5 AI sols and a bunch of other supplements. Thats a terrible comparison to suggesting that adding 3 green Leds at 525nm to a 2ft light is going to look the same as Grimms. Your using 3x as much green as grimm added to his entire fixture Grimm has taken a lot of time into planning and building his leds and thought extremely well about the spectrum and how much each individual led would provide. Hence why he only used 3 greens on a massive tank. Your suggesting 3 greens on a biocube, That will impact the spectrum being offered immensely.

Logan, Stop crying everytime someone says that littlest thing about leds. The direction biocube was heading by adding green leds in the 525nm i felt was heading into a overkill in the 500-600nm spectrum. On his smaller fixture the spectrum would be possibly too high, as you mentioned you have zero idea of the possible effect. Sorry that i try and offer advice that may help someone from making a bad decision. But in the end your job here is to sell led fixtures to us and make a profit. My job is to meet other reefers and offer my past advice and knowledge of the subject of my failed attempts at reefing and what ended up working out for me. So i will leave it at that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

if the greens dont look good then biocube will take them out, its as simple as that.

biocube, im sure regardless of what you do it will be amazing, as usual.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm using 9 actually 3 per bar... and I run them at full, he's running his with a dimmer.

12. Reef Breeders

Okay, why don't you take that elsewhere. The only way you debate what I say, is by insulting me. 3 greens will not overwhelm anything, I have used up to 4, or more per 2 feet of tank. I know what I am talking about, and have tried the combos myself. I am not selling anything, I am contributing my knowledge and experience to the thread. Until you can learn to respect fellow hobbyists, including me, please leave well enough alone. I am sorry Biocube, for knocking this thread off course.