Adding Fish After Yellow Tang

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Weir_Head, Mar 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

So I guess I made the mistake of adding my Y.Tang too soon. I wasn't aware that it should be one of the last fish to go into the tank.
    (My mistake)

It's been in my tank for about 4 weeks. I have a 65G, which I know is kind of borderline on a tang but I decided to at least try it for a while. The Y.Tang is pretty small.

Anyway, today I bought a Banggai Cardinal and a Keyhole Angel. I was told that it's better to add more than one so the Y.Tang can't zero in it's aggression.
    I also turned the lights out before I added them, and they're off for the day.

You think they'll be a problem? It already chased them around a little bit, but of course the Angel had to go right into where the Y.Tang sleeps...

Anyone had experience adding fish after a Y.Tang? I didn't know they would be so aggressive to newcomers. :-/

All the parameters are good: Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite/PH/Calc/KH, etc.

Tank has been going for about 3 months now.

2. Click Here!

3. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

I dont know a lot about the behavior of y.tangs but if it is being chasing your other fish around, any chance you can bring it back for some sort of store credit? and eventually buy another ytang down the road?

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

My yellow tang is a jerk. He never let's up off any of the other fish no matter the order I added them, and the smaller the tank, the nastier they get due to added stress. I would say chasing isn't really that big a deal at 1st but if you start seeing him backing up on any other fish someone has got to go.

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

sometimes you can try moving around your scape if at all possible. that way they are less territorial while looking for a new spot to sleep/protect.

6. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

IMO - if you do add them - going to be iffy at best. Put them in at light out. let them go a full night together.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Move your rock work around a bit. The Angel should be able to hold its own against the tang so I would give it a day or two. If you have a screen or something similar you could portion off one section of the tank so the Tang cant get to them while the new fish get used to their new home.

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 but the bangi will have the toughest time - since they are nocturnal

10. dnyce78

dnyce78 Astrea Snail

if you have the means you can try taking the YT out of the tank and put him in a temp tank for a couple of weeks then reintroduce him back in. I've done that with a purple tang and had a bit of success.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try taping a small mirror up on the side of the tank for a few days and see if he is distracted enough to allow the other fish time to acclimate and become bolder.

12. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I put the Angel and the Cardinal in last night around 5pm, and turned the lights off.
    I turned them back on today at like 2pm.

The one problem might be that I really only have one area of "Caves", and the other side I kind of have an arch thing going on.

Last night the Tang and Keyhole slept in the same main cave, I guess they were fine...?
    They're currently swimming together in a sense, and every once in a while the Tang will flip his tail at the Angel.

It doesn't seem like Y.Tang is being overly aggressive. He kind of did the same thing with my Foxface, who was in the tank well before the YTang, and now they're best friends.

Here's my setup... I moved some of the corals around, but I kind of like the way I'm setup now, so I'm going to wait til last resort to rearrange the tank.

Full Tank
    [​IMG]

Night "Homes"
    [​IMG]

The Cardinal, who I didn't know was nocturnal, seems to be hanging out towards the top with the Clowns.
    [​IMG]