adding base rock to an established aquarium

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by nc208082, Jan 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That's crap. If they knew they sold it to you, they should take it back. That would be the last time I did business with them. Hell, even store credit.

Also.... base rock is just dry rock. It does not need to "cure". All you need to do is scrub it up a bit. If you like most will boil it or soak it in water for a bit to loosen anything.... but it does not need to cure.

If you buy more live rock... it does not need to cure either... you have plenty LR already in your tank and adding a bit will not do much. I regularly added stuff I took out form time to time.

Last.... don't buy solid rock... it is pointless. What makes LR live is that is has an enormous amount of surface area from big, small and even microscopic holes in it. Solid rock makes very poor rock to house anything... plus it is sold and weighs much more than reef rock so you will pay much more. About the only exception is Texas Holy rock. It's solid too but it at least has some very unique shapes to it and some people like the asteics. At least enough people do have it in their reef tanks to know it is reef safe.

Most will shy away from anything that does not come from a reef because nobody can be sure there is not harmful metal deposits in the rock. Hope that helps on your search.

2. Click Here!

3. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

man what a story, I hope you dont go back to that LFS. I would be pissed, I am always changing my aquascape so I have tons of extra rock in the garage.

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

LOL, it not base rock thats is for sure, and if there is one thing it isn't is Slate Rock. That first piece is crap and would not be good for any tank. But the other 3 are fine for a fresh water tank I have about 150 lbs of stuff exacty like it that used to be in my 55 gallon African tank.

Texas Holy rock has a calcium base, which means it's highly likely that it will alter your water parameters--hardness and pH after some time and should not be used in a reef tank either, its only good fresh water tank and Hard water fish like an african tank.

Base rock will look just like the Live rock but cleaner and with out any of the life that is on the live rock you already have. Check out Marco Rocks they ship to canada, it says that on thier web site. They have some really nice rock and good prices on it.

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

good to know, but im glad i did it this way and saw the oxidizing rock in the bucket and not in my tank:)

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Which big als? I know this is normally a nono but you can go on the marine aquarium society of toronto's website and get in touch with a member. You will probably get it for $4/lb for live and $2/lb for base. Hope I don't get in trouble here for mentioning a nonsponsor site. PM me and I can get you in touch with someone local.

James

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I just saw this thread, and dude I am pissed off for you.

Everyone before me is saying the right stuff. That is sedimentary rock with ferrous layers that are oxidizing (rusting) from being in water. That rock has absolutely no place in your tank.

And the LFS knows better, believe me he knows better.

Take it back. Get your money back. Go somewhere else.

8. Click Here!

9. Tyrant46290

Tyrant46290 Astrea Snail

only 1 i would even think about using is the last picture of the 3 rocks, the top right with no lines trough it, those although could be put into freshwater....as for the first....id throw that right through their front window.......base rock usually is sold just sitting on a shelf or something, not in water......there is no curing on it although i do personally soak it in saltwater for 1 day then give it a quic scrub with a soft brush.....i just ordered some bali live rock from aqua connection....i got 15 pounds of it for 3 bucks a pound, its pretty nice but no coralline algae on it.....and as far as i know they have 1 of the worst reputations around....and id still go there than wherever you got that shot from

could always tell him you put it in your tank and wiped it out, tell him he has to pay for some of it just because they were stupid.....haha....good luck and im sorry they are dumb