Active Carbon

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by wswensonjr, Jul 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I wouldnt quote Ron Shimek on how to acclimate my foot in the bathtub much less anything else.

Most of us on here have been doing this for awhile and know from our personal experience and not from somebodies theory on a website or book.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hey geek...how often do you swap it out? :-/

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

ROTFLMAF How did I know you had that book LOL Again I'll ask it again this will be my last word on the subject as It's has been done to death already .

But again my question is to you just as it was to the Dr.. where does all the bio waste and slued from the food and animals with in this DSB system ? he never did answer maybe you can ? He also go defensive and started to try and attack my intelligence and typing skills or lack there of :) I'm done with this subject .. This a friendly site and I'd like to keep it that away Have a nice day Sir.

1 person likes this.
  5. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

It seems to me that a lot of "information" about reef systems being well into the catagory of "urban myth".That aquarists would demand more proof or do more research to get past the "he said she said" stage.I for one will not risk my investment in time and money on purely anecdotal information.There is a lot of good information out there and all anyone has to do is read.And who said this discourse was anything but friendly?

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

2-4 weeks, depends on whats going in my tank. Right now, Its been in there for 4 weeks and I see no need right now to change as there is no bioload in there aka fish/food. I am running 10oz of carbon at the moment though. Ive hadded a lot of sps to my tank so I am trying to balance it out which is why I am going to try to make a limewater drip to help balance the ca/ak/ph/mag situation.

As for changing, Im one of those that if it aint broke, dont fix it kind of people. I rarely let it go for 6 weeks, but have before with a light bioload without any problems. If you have a high bioload, no more then 4 weeks.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

And you base you opinion on whos myth ?

But again my question is to you just as it was to the Dr.. where does all the bio waste and slued from the food and animals with in this DSB system ? he never did answer maybe you can ? He also go defensive and started to try and attack my intelligence and typing skills or lack there of :) I'm done with this subject .. This a friendly site and I'd like to keep it that away Have a nice day Sir.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

as for people using finer sand in DSB's for more surface area... In theory yes, the smaller the grain of sand, the more surface area BUT when you pack it all together in the bottom of the tank, it compacts. All those surface areas toughing each other doesnt allow bacteria to grow. Its common sense. Unless you stir it up all the time, meaning you sticking your hand down in there or using a siphon to suck u p all the accumulated gunk, all that compacted sand will become a solid. Sand sifters dont do the job enough, they are nothing compared to a hurricane which keeps the ocean floor stirred up and prevents it from becoming a solid.

10. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

DSB why bother !!!!;D tangsters right they do suck!!!;D :p

1 person likes this.
  11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

t

My point exactly just read Calfos artical thing that was listed right off the bat he says what Smuck said and as many who where selling the crap for a sponsor They are maintenance free A totally self sustained system that needs nothing

I don't go to LFS much But as it was yesterday a Local shop needed corals in a hurry they had a club meeting there. I had to open up at 10:00 am yesterday to fill their buckets up with corals :) But later I stopped in to see how the meeting went! I ran in a one guy a very well read anal engineer who last winter was having all kinds of problems he runs up to tell me as a last resort he applied my method and guess what in a few days his problem went away.. Whoooo hooo why could I not find that information in all my readings LO, seems the experts lack experience!.

But there was another guy there who was having issues with his system last mid winter! I was there doing some ducting work to cool the coral room down. He was telling a guy all of the problems he was having with his tank... I interjected you must have a DSB LOL and it must about 2 yrs old and you are not maintaining it correctly! He went I have read !!!!!! that they need little maintenance to them as they are not to be disturbed..

I said well you have about 6 months enjoy LOL He said yesterday Buddy I should have heeded your opinion and experience ! It killed everything I had lost it all poof on Saturday morning it was fine got home in the afternoon and tank was stank and fouled and all my corals where dead ):
    I don't read book never have by time the writers had popped up I was already running marine systems for more yrs and then they had lived and had played with DSB while smuck was tromping through the mud flats looking for his magic Bugs :) And just because one writes a book does not a hobbyist does it make.. All the leading so called experts of today hell they are all just hobbyist with an opinion in a book that you pay for. I've never had to go ask any of them a question.. But a few of them can't say that. :)

12. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

WOW Tangster you must be worn out after that long ride on your high horse lol.All of that about DSB's and not one word about why dsb's dont work.Not one word about what to do instead of a dsb.The only information one might get from all that furious typing is that you are a hero.(self proclaimed).
    Do you or dont you have any substantive information?Could you tell us why they dont work?Can you tell us how to make them work?Can you provide us with anything but bluster?I believe these are all questions a man of your great standing in the aquarist community should be able to answer with ease.Come on tangster show us what you got.