Active Carbon

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by wswensonjr, Jul 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I run carbon 24/7 always have, always will.

As for DSB's, The ocean is technically a DSB, BUT we dont have hurricanes and other natural things that keep it WELL turned over. As reseult, all the things that accumalte in the sandbed turn it into a solid overtime (within 5 yrs). When we moved Gary's 125g and 120g, both established reef tanks that had been up for 5 and 8 yrs, he thought his sandbed was being turned over enough by all the hundreds of sand sifters he had and the engineer goby's. Well we pulled out 2-3 chunks of what use to be sand, but had now turned into a black rock/mass of worthless DSB.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Every septic tank there ever was filled up at some point as for name calling I never called you a name I have never said anything to anyone I have not said it to their face Dr's included :).. As for the good ? Dr LOL his theory cost alot of people a lot of money and animals hell he could not keep his own running but for a few yrs. Then had every excuse in the world why it boiled up. Look lakeside AV they have yet to lean that :) set your watch by it. I helped Melvin set up his first marine systems in the mid 70's and now he is out and all but gone and the DSB he thought was so great fails every 3 yrs And the new kid Rick still insist they work long term :) ..And old Keith over on Meadow Bridge with his outdated U/G has far less problems :) At least your the cat knows a good thing when he sees it. I'd reccomend to any newer person just starting out to use a W/D until they gain a bit more experience.

I'll put the same question to you as I did the Dr.. Tell me where all the broken down waste goes to in the little Glass box of water ? Where does it actually go ? Unless you have found a magic bug or worm that feeds on mthanes and sulfides instead of carbons ..Nuff said by me on a DSB.. They have never worked and will never work long term. They are a sharp razor blade to walk on.. Don't slip.;)

1 person likes this.
  4. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Interesting reading... but all I wanted to know was how much carbon to add.

Thanks for the response.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

about 1oz per 10g of water or a little less.

6. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

Well Tangster,thanks very much for the scientific answer.I was truly impressed by your concise and iluminating words.It contained so much usefull informatin it will take me all of 3 seconds to digest it.You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just saying you dont have a reasonable answer.As for me and a lot of other people in this hobby anacdotal information doesnt cut it, and your prejudices are obvious.Remember,A closed mind never grows.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

O.k educate me :) I guess I can assume you have a DSB on operation now with in your tank right ? And how old is the tank and DSB ? Or maybe you purchesed one of the DSB books ? If so then you can educate me with some inside bits of wisdom ? I'm not going to enter a peeing contest with you as I'm sure could never win .. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

10. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

11. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

12. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

O.K educate me how and why does the DSB work ? You must have a firm grasp of them..
    When someone says prove it to me this is how I do it.The three previous posts should help you.