Activated Tri Base Pelletized Carbon???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ghost, Feb 21, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Yes, that is the mystery isn't? How can a bacteria decomposes things that quickly? Well, this one can. When we say bacteria people only think of one strain of bacteria, the Right Now bacteria is not a single strain of bacteria, its actually a collection of many different type of bacteria working together to achieve the result. Therefore, it can work very quickly to decompose bio matter in the water. Second, the RN can reproduce 6 times in 15 minutes, so they get large very quickly, more food source you have in the water faster they grow; and for food I mean ammonia,nitrate, oil, protein and yes dead fish , clam or anemone. Remember, there are billions of strain of bacteria present in nature and some bacteria can do some pretty amazing things, you just have to be the first to find it.

There always some die-off, but again, because the RN can reproduce so quickly, a little die-off isn't really a problem.

Now the protein skimmer question.

One of the things the RN will eat is protein. Protein when left alone in the water it will decomposes and break down to pollute the water, that is why you want to get rid of it before it can become a problem. If you can remove the protein from the water, then there isn't anything to break down from. To remove the protein most people use the skimmer, skimmer does not remove all the protein, if it did the we can all left the dead fish, clam or anomone in the water without worring about it. As everyone knows even with a protein skimmer you still have to remove the dead from your tank ASAP. With the RN, it would not matter. lets say you were out in the weekend, and something dies in your tank, by the time you return you are in trouble. With RN you won't be, because you won't even know something has died. It wont' be there when you return. That's the diffrence.

You can contiune to use the skimmer, it just another equipment to run. Sooner or later you'll come to realize the skimmer isn't really skimm anymore, you'll know what to do with the skimmer at that point. If it makes people feel safe, keep the skimmer it not a big deal.

I hope this answer your questions.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We get it for a teaching school we are involved with and it was from a Co. Called HDL And we get it directly through them and not a distributer and it was a 1,000 pounds and Why would I need to add bacteria to carbon ? what is this magic bacteria ??? The kids put the carbon in barrels from the Bag it came in..
    And we use it at our private coral growth center.. The fact we take 50,000 GPD Natural water from a local ocean Sound and filter and sterilize it makes it necessary to use large amounts of carbon to help pull the Ozone out of the filtered water. You may not believe that either But again I don't really care. So go peddle you carbon and little vials of bacteria somewhere else.. I think its nothing more then carbon and not as efficient as what I use . It just offers a higher flow rate from the pellet's design and with less compaction.
    Now that being said I could give less then a Rats A%% about what you believe or not..

4. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

Since you are using the TBPC for purpose other then as a biological bed, there is nothing to compare to what I use the carbon for, Therefore, your opinion is irreverent to the subject we are discussing. So, if is OK with you please kindly keep it to yourself, I will not answer your post again.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's the one :) I wish I had classes like that when I was in school!

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm going to have to call him sometime then. I've thought of setting up something like this with my local school district.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

FWIW....to get back on track.

There are many different species of bacteria that perform denitrification aerobically. What the hobby has been taught about nitrification and denitrification is VERY incomplete and sometimes completely inaccurate. For instance, Dr. Shimek still claims that the bacteria that oxidize Nitrites are Nitrobacter spp. WRONG It's Nitrospira spp. (But Dr. Ron is wrong about a lot of what he says).

Here's a number of species of bacteria that perform aerobic denitrification. Not only that, they are already in your tank. How on earth Bill Hiatt got a patent on something that occurs naturally is beyond me.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa
    Pseudomonas stutzeri
    Paracoccus denitrificans
    Neisseria meningitidis
    Thiosphaera pantotropha

Denitrification can even occur in biofilms that are so thin, you can see through them. In fact, if you haven't used a magnet on your front glass for a couple of days denitrification can occur in only .029 microMole and you are looking right through it.

[​IMG]

Here's some information that Eric Borneman summarized in an article dated 5/10/98

Last edited: May 8, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The product that you're selling claims that you can have a tank cycle "instantly" if you use it.

"Thus, you can set up your tank if your follow our protocol and have it totally cycled in 24 hours AEROBICALLY! At the same time the reduction of Nitrogen is taking place, the reduction of Phosphates and Potash also are reduced AEROBICALLY. So, your tank can be free of Phosphates, and all Nitrogen waste at the very same time, which makes taking care of your tank very easy. "

"Your can fully stock your new aquarium in as little as two weeks and begin to enjoy your new aquarium the very first day. No guilt and no worries, because your fish won't die on you this time. "

Anybody who has been in the hobby long enough knows that there is no such thing as an instant cycle. Never has been, probably never will be. Please correct me if I've misinterpreted the information on your website?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.