actinic 03 purple or true blue actinic?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by hitman35, Oct 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

I was wondering which bulb is better I purchased a new set of bulbs and i got actinic 03 with a purple ish color. I had my original bulbs that came with my odyssea pc fixture i was really liking the blue color but does anyone know if this actinc 03 purple bulb is better its from hamilton

2. Click Here!

3. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Really blue bulbs are for the look. so if you like it then it's better

4. hitman35

as far as corals and stuff liek that goes will the purple be better

5. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

some people like it some don't. Never really seen the purple bulbs so not sure how they make the corals look

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you won't like the purple bulbs i had some on my vho fixture. doesn't look good especially with a tank full of coralline algae, i was purpled out

as far as which is better blue or purple no clue
    blue is prolly more actinic while purple probably has some of the lower spectrum in it
    most people get blue

edit: or maybe the blue is lower spectrum according to roygbiv. also your hamilton bulb is probably better because odds come with really cheap bulbs, just next time get blue

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  7. hitman35

i loved the looks of the blue because it brought all the colors out nicely but if purple is gonna help the corals flourish more then i will stick with them not sure how the purple looks on VHO as opposed to PC lighting

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the only purpose of actinics is looks so its all about preference.

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

if yours are 420nm you have the right kind, I have the 460nm, and they look ok but I much rather have the 420nm, I trade you...lol

11. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

420nm is more of a purple (shorter wavelength) while 460nm is more blue (longer wavelength). One thing you will notice is that the 420nm bulbs will appear to be not as bright because your eyes aren't as sensitive to this lower wavelength; however, the bulb will be putting out the same amount of power.

I'm actually trying out dual actinic 420/460nm bulbs in my Odyssea fixture right now.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Actually... there is a difference in coral and invertebrate growth... According to Sunpaq anyway.. I just got a dual purple and blue bulb set. If you have choice either get the all blue or dual purple/blue.. The purple doesn't look like it's on, but that's the way it's suppose to be . It has an invisible spectrum that is suppose to be good for corals. I figure a broader spectrum is a good thing.
    The guy at Marine Depot told me it's better to have dual than blue only.

I haven't really done much research on this matter.. just read a little bit.