acrylic vs starphire

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sostoudt, Oct 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

In most home aquarium sizes there isn't a huge difference between glass and acrylic, but acrylic does offer better clarity then glass.

Benefits to acrylic is lighter then glass, insulates better, most reputable manufactures of acrylic aquariums offer a lifetime warranty against leakage to the original owner.

Biggest downside is it scratches easier, but can be buffed out, and it costs a fair amount more.

But except for very large tanks, glass makes more sense.

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I saw a comparison chart once somewhere of light refaction through all three and the least amount of refraction was Acrylic,
    then starfire and then regular glass.

According to the Wickipedia page on refractive indices, Standard Glass has a refractive index of 1.485 - 1.925 depending on
    composition and purity and Acrylic is 1.490 - 1.492

But I agree with Luna as far as cost VS Clarity when it comes to a small tank using starfire. The reasons for using starfire in
    larger tanks is as glass gets thicker the less clear it get when using standard glass so you would use starfire.

But IMO with a tank under lets say 55 gallons the glass just isnt thick enough to warrant usign starfire especially since it will
    add apromiatly 65% to 75% to the final price of the tank.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea i would never do this in any other tank but this is my no hold barred, no expense is to expensive tank lol

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

This may be true, but thats probably within the 1st yr or so. All the Acrylic tanks that I have ever seen(except new ones) look like $hit, very cloudy and scratches everywhere. Maybe its just me, but I prefer glass. Luna

6. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

Thats because they were not taken care of. They scratch easily and too many people still use abrasive cleaning material designed for glass to clean them.

I would only consider acrylic for a large tank since they are lighter and can be moved with less people, other then that I go with glass too.

7. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Most don't read up on how to care for acrylic and just clean it like they would glass , this will make them look like poo. If your getting it made and want glass see if you can get just the front SF and the rest plain glass, this would save a ton in cost.

8. Click Here!

9. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

Glass Cages offers that exact option.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea that were im looking at tanks lol

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would never do acrylic... I don't like the idea of scratches. Glass scratches easily enough as it is. I like to buy used stuff so I can get a good deal.. but if I could get starfire I would be willing to pay for that.

12. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

You use cast acrylic for tanks = lens quality glass, A good quality acrylic tank is much clearer than a standard glass tank. Bottom line you get what you pay for. Scratches can be buffed out, it's not that hard I have done it a few dozen times on poorly shipped tanks (thanks FedEx ground :) )