Acrylic Tubing

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cannon2222, Jun 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

I'm make a cpw (Controlled Plenum Wasting...see the sand forum) for my new reef. Anyway, I want to glue acrylic tubing to pvc. Is it possible and how do I do it. Thanks.

phil

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Phil, just use weldon 16. It will glue all kinds of crosslinked plastics: PVC; acrylic; polycarbonate; and just about any of the more commonly available plastics. I got it at a local plastic place, most hardware stores do not carry it. You can use weldon 40 but it is a two part type glue, it is for really high end precision work where appearance is the key. At least for what I'm doing, I don't care about much but strength and watertight!!! ;D

The weldon 16 comes in a 5oz tube and is really easy to use. The 5oz has enough glue for a couple of dozen aquarium setups including sumps, refugiums, overflows, it does not take much!!! I have a feeling the tube I bought ($5), will last a long time. [smiley=biglaugh.gif]

I just glued about half of my skimmer together and it was dead simple!! [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

4. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Thanks dx. I'll try it.

phil

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Normal PVC glue will work as well when cross gluing acrylic to pVC. I've done it tons of times, all with great success.