acrylic joint bubbles

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by toua, Jul 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

It's going to be used as a frag tank, water level is going to be 10 - 11 inches. The bubbles I'm concerned about is only the corners, I noticed that the first picture has what seems like a realy big bubble on the right but that's not a big bubble, it's little bubbles in the seems but their was a white sticker on the folder that was under the tank. It's held water for a couple days like I said but I just don't want it to break a year into it or something like that. I'm trying to avoid to have a shop break the seem and re-seal if possible, thanks for all the feed back everyone!

2. Click Here!

3. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Sorry don't mean to disagree, but breaking the seam is more risky than to simply reinforce and fill with water IMO

4. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Also the glue that is used essentially makes a chemical weld so breaking the seam will never be as perfect as when it was cut on a CNC and glued originally, when you have a small gap the water like glue does not get a good purchase on the acrylic and in the seam would be worse, IMO

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Not when that seam is compromised and holding back 45 gallons of water. The risk isn't worth it. Seek professional help.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Exactly, its not a glue and it shouldn't be treated as such. You can't reinforce the seam by applying more. The "glue" is a solvent and essentially melts the seam into a solid corner. That original seam is poor and weak if bubbles are present, so its already compromised. I wouldn't trust it to hold back 45 gallons of water.

I would seek a professional opinion and professional help to reseal the tank, if I were you.