Acrow not growing tall (pics)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by nanomania, Dec 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would get the acro off of that rock and do something with it. Preferably, toss it across the yard at the neighbors dog. JK JK don't do that. The rock could use a good scrubbing though.

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Although I do not see the aiptasia he mentioned, I do agree that rock needs to go. You said its only on that rock and nowhere else in the aquarium so I would remove corals off the rock and bleach the rock before recuring to get rid of all that algae mess.

As stated, many acros will encrust over a frag plug and far beyond before going vertical. Totally normal growth pattern so no worries there. Imagine if they all grew up before they grew out, they would not have a strong enough base and would topple over.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Check the arrow. Aiptaisia is there!

Attached Files:

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hmm still not sue, if so good eyes!! Looks to out of focus for me to tell for sure

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  7. wooboodoo

wooboodoo Astrea Snail

To grow sps corals you shouldn't keep your NO3 and PO4 at absolutely 0.00
    It should be very low but not zero.
    What tests you're using again?

Regards
    mark

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Thanks guys for the replies, here are the answers to all the Qs:

Yes there is a small apitasianext to it, but its not stinging it as i see new bottom growth every day. its spreading pretty fast at the bottom.
    Lights are Led flood lights 2 white and 2 blue here is the video or it:25 gallon reef tank with led flood lights - YouTube (have a look at my other vids too)
    Test kit is JBL test lab and for cal and mag, im using salifert.
    I never had bubble algae too, but when i bought a coral from a hobbyist, his tank had bubble lagea and that how i got, same with red bubble. this is not bryopsis, it truf all the other nuciance algae dissappeared within a month..
    Im using red sea salt, dosing Cal. chloride everyday 15ml (randys formula) Mag (randys formula) is dosed every WC on weekends..

10. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

*Daniel high fives himself* I can spot those things from a mile away. I could have seen that sucker from the space shuttle with a pair of binoculars

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

The aiptasia might not be stinging it now, but once it does, it'll be the end of that acro. As far as the algae, try to get a closer pic so we can determine if its bryopsis or GHA. IME acro's in high light tend to encrust more, where as ones in lower light tend to grow up and outwards more. HTH.