Acrow not growing tall (pics)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by nanomania, Dec 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Why is mu acro growing only at the bottom forming plate and not growing taller??? its been 3 months.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Some acropora encrust outward before they grow vertically. Growing is a good sign regardless of the direction. Should it continue to grow only horizontally you can try pruning the very tip off of the vertical growth off and see if that helps.

4. Ben Wehr

Ben Wehr Astrea Snail

It would be very helpful to know all the variables of your tank that would effect the growth.
    -Lighting and photo period
    -Chemistry (ca, alk, mag) po4 and no3

There's a bit of algae growth which would suggest high nutrients. acros need to be in very clean water

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I had a coral stay "dormant" for a few months. Then it blew up with growth, make sure your lights aren't overpowering and let time do it's thing.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This would be my theory as well. Might want to get that algae in check too because it could choke out your coral.

7. nanomania

i have no other algae xcpt this, its grows straight from the rock and is hard like brush... planning on ATS. all me test are 0....

Cal - 440
    Mg - 1450
    Alk - 8

N&p- 0

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The tests come up 0 because the algae takes the nutrients in.

10. nanomania

planning ATS + hydrogen peroxide 3%

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

My thought is that phosphate could be inhibiting skeletal growth. With this being said, oftentimes the coral will need to create a nice base before it will go vertical. The coral looks nice. With this being said, get the phosphates (liquid kits are useless as they only check for free phosphates) in check and make sure your bulbs are ok. (if over a year, change them out) I also see an aiptaisia in the picture that could be stunting the acro.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep. I believe it's inhibiting growth in my tank too. Randy Holmes says phosphate can reduce growth by up to 43%! My Monti cap frag is growing thin, not thick, because of phosphates I believe.