Acropora Placement

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Breed, Aug 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Hey all!

Do acropora need to be placed on or amongst the live rock? Or can it be placed in the sand at the bottom of the tank. I have noticed that 90% of all the acropora frags at my LFS are not attached to rocks are are hard to fasten down, and it would be alot easier to place them in the sand.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Breed

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

they really need to be mounted onto rocks that way they can lay a base down and until they get a good base foundation on some solid stable rock they will not grow or expand very well or fast.. But I have some setting on the bottom and u near the rocks base. But you have to have light power enough to reach them there..

4. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

yeah most species of acropora live in shallow reefs so they are accustomed to intense sunlight so personally i would glue some pieces to a nice rock and place it in the upper regions of the tank.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

For the most part, SPS corals will need pretty intense light, that means they need to go more toward the top of the tank. As for your lfs not having them mounted, you can get some super glue GEL and glue them to a small rock to make placing them easier. If you are placing them into a tank with more intense light than that of your lfs then you might want to slowly acclimate them to the lighting.