Acropora feeding images. What I have learned/observed 6/16/2011

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Corailline, Dec 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Coralline, I was looking into Rod's Foods and see they have 2 different formulas for reef and corals. Which one do you use?

Even though you mention keeping the pumps on, I imagine you turn your skimmer off when you're feeding them to avoid all the food being pulled out of the water, right?

Great pictures by the way! Looks really pro!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hey Magnus, thanks :)

Right now I am using Rod's fish. Inwall suggested Rod's C: coral but they do not carry it here.

This is what I am using

Rod`s Food Original Blend

Take a look at the ingredients, seems to have a lot of good stuff in it.

I do not run a skimmer, there I said it, not recommended for newer tanks but it works for me. I have tried it both ways with very good skimmers, but I just happen to sell my skimmer when I was selling the tank. Started the tank back up with out the skimmer. :)

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

As surprised as I am to hear this, I'm not all at the same time. Your insistence and preference for light stocking certainly makes a lot more sense now (not that I am at all encouraging overstocking).

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Yeah, no biggie! As far as I knew, there were only picture "popo" @ 3reef.com. As soon as skimmer police gets enforced.... I see nothing, I hear nothing, I say nothing.

6. Corailline

Decided to update this thread because I have learned a few newer things since it's original posting 6 months ago.

At that time I was getting some flack on another forum when referring to mesenterial filament as part of a corals anatomy that is capable of capturing food. Some believe the mesenterial filaments were soley used as a defense mechanism.

Definition: Mesenterial Filaments, part of a coral's digestive organs that can be used quite effectively as a defensive structure (same as acontia). The Reef Aquarium Volume I, page 518, Charles Delbeek, Julian Sprung.

I continue to feed the same food Rod's Foods. Now however the corals are in an area of higher flow. The higher the flow the longer the mesenterial filaments, also the longer the period they are present.

Mesenterial filaments are more concentrated on the base of corals and longer and not as dense at the tips.

All images in this post are the same corals, 6 months later. How efficient this means of feeding is in the home aquarium, I can only speculate it's not as nearly as effective as in the wild secondary to the absence of a constant supply of zooplankton.

The Valida as you can see has grown quite a lot, and you can see the filaments below the branching.
    [​IMG]
    The Slimmer does not even look like the same coral, and has long mesenterial filaments around 2-3 inches.
    [​IMG]
    The Millepora with a good image of the structure of the filament.
    [​IMG]

7. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

try using oyster eggs for your sps you will be amazed how slimy thet get, especially if you target feed them with your circ pumps off

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Very cool pics Cheryl!
    If I may add my observations on this also: when I feed plankton almost all of mine have the same response... After a heathy feeding the filaments are out almost immediately and in some cases stay out for a day or two afterwards.
    Very nice tank and very healthy corals :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Corailline

Actually I did try them on occasion, maybe it was before I actually knew what I was looking for or at, but I did not notice the same response.
    Rod's Foods does of oyster eggs in it though.

Thanks for the tip.:)

Interesting Trent.

Appreciate the observations. Probably because I am interested in polyp types and structure I tend to tune into that information. Not a lot out there in the general forums and again most say it's a defense mechanism or stress. Honestly I do not believe that if you see it after feedings.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I've been saying for years mesenterial are primarily for feeding, maybe that's why people keep looking at me like I have two heads LOL. clam juice works good too BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Corailline

And this is why hobbyist are important to the science and visa versa. Can not tell you how many people told me I was nuts, and I almost believed them.