Acro lovers!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by April Hope, Feb 25, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

Nice pick up, can't wait to see that thing really color up! Be patient with it because it may take it a little while to settle into your tank. Good luck and it sounds like this will be the first of many acro's.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

How about coral chili? And here's to hoping!!!! My first Acro I ever bought on purpose lol!

Thank you so much for your help!

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Looks like A. secale to me, I find they prefer lower light compared to other acros. However given this appears to be a maricultured piece, I find they do best at the tippy top of the tank in highest flow possible ( they come from the ocean)

My acclimation for maricultured pieces is usually 5-7 days in the middle of the tank, then up to the top. My lighting is an 8 bulb ATI T5 that sits 8" above the tank. Doesn't get much brighter than that.

5. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Awesome! Silly question but what tips you off that it is mariculture? I would never know the difference if some one didn't tell me.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Brown, baseball sized colony for a good price at an LFS. Lol. If it were aquacultured it wouldn't go for less than $100. Usually the base looks like the bottom has been sawn off and there's a plastic tag. The plastic tag will usually either have the species or just say acropora sp.

Murball7 and chris adams like this.
  7. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Oh crap, that's what that was? It does have a sawed off base. And there was a plastic tag I couldn't read. Also, the reason I questioned this piece in particular is that it was in the middle of two racks, one marked 139, and one marked 39. The kid that was there wasn't sure what it was and they were busy, he sold it at the lower price. But I looked the same as the 139$ rack. Not sure....

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Might have been an "ultra" grade mariculture. Typically these are A. Millepora and A. Secale, they go for no less than $129 typically. Sounds like they moved it down a rack because of the browning out and you got a steal. Now hopefully you can get it to color back up :)

chris adams likes this.
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wait, it's baseball sized? From a lfs? For $39!

What ever it is, it's a great deal if it's sps, and anywhere near baseball sized!