Acro compatability?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by bouraganes, Nov 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Hi guys, I am thinking about changing an fish only live rock tank and adding some nice sps and more specifically some acropora- I was wondering if it was going to be an problem mixing in some lps and maybe even a few softies? Any suggestions would be gladly accepted!

2. Click Here!

3. wil3357

wil3357 Astrea Snail

I mix them with no problems, sps on the top with some xenia, gsp closer to the bottom. I believe there are some you shouldnt mix though, some of the leathers I think. wil

4. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I mix mine as well, no problems here :) If you want to see the list of my corals, click the link in my signature below. :D

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm a mixer too :) As long as you run carbon 24/7, you shouldn't have any problems with chemical warfare.

6. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I mix as well. So far so good. Looks kind of nice actually.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I not only mix them I even allow the same species to overlap and grow with in each other. I will place the LPS and SPS at as much distance as room will allow when I first place them in the tank. And with LPS I place the longer sweeper ones off to themselves.. Softy's are the worse by far for releasing Toxins and Carbon will keep this at low enough levels to make it not much of a concern for myself. I figure its every coral for themselves in there Its a Jungle :)

8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well, mixing stingers with SPS is not a good idea in the eyes of many SPS farmers... I'll tell you why. SPS are more suceptible to the sting of softies or LPS. When they get stung, they are good enough dead. Vs. softies or LPS, that it takes a couple of shots to rid of them, it doesn't take a lot to kill an SPS piece since they are so darn sensitive. I have a mix in my new reef, SPS, LPS and softies. I am only limiting myself to one frag of shrooms and that's it, the rest will be complete stonies. My LPS consist of more docile, peaceful inhabitants like Acanthastrea genus of corals and Blastomussa pieces. The rest are Acros and Monti's. The Hillae and Echinata species tend to be asses, but as long as they are kept atleast 1.5in away from corals, they should not be able to reach. Although Hillae tends to spiderweb quite far. :-/

As long as you maintain a distance between them and like Amcarrig said, run carbon constantly and change it frequently, you can avoid toxins in the water released by soft corals. Also, you have to also take into account the spread of softies, as they do spread quicker than any stony in nature, they will outgrow the stonies and sting. ;D