Acclimating Urchin and Brittle

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Draco, Feb 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

ok, I am not sure what topic this belongs under..

I am expecting a Rock Boring Urchin and a Brittle Star today in the mail (over night). I've looked up acclimations and they all seem to contradict each other. I've never had either critters, they're new experience to me.

The place I am buying from says float bag until temp matches (15 mins or so), then add critters to the tank, discarding water. That seems rushed to me.

Can someone tell me the proper way to acclimate these guys?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would acclimate the same as fish

4. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I like to drip acclimate

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I put the subjects in a small plastic container with the water they came in. Over the course of 30 minutes I add display water to that container and pour out a small portion of water and repeat, personally I use a turkey baster. You need to acclimate to temp, pH and SG.

6. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

thanks all, that's what I was thinking!

they're stuck at the PO. I missed the delivery. and the PO said it wasn't there. grr.. it's closed now. gotta get them tomorrow

7. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Hope things work out for you!

I have recently been having my livestock held at the facility for pick up because of issues like that. Also living in new England it minimizes sitting in the back of a truck.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

civiccars2003 likes this.
  10. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

That's specific to how John packs his livestock (little water and wet paper towels), I don't recommend this method from other sources.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

No matter how much water is placed in the container if it has a live animal in it for that long the ammonia is going to go up.PH down.(unless chemical additives are used)FWIW I have never drip acclimated anything.I just used his link because it explains why I don't do it.Some vendors may use some sort of ammonia binder in the bag which would make dripping less harmfull but I
    always believe the faster I can get them in my clean tank the better there chances.Its worked for me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  12. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Although my experience is far less than all the folks on here I've not had an issue with drip acclimating. That's the great thing about this forum, so much experience and advice to select from.