Acclimating corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by sssnake, Jul 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I just bought a couple of corals (a leather, button polyps, & candy cane) and was wondering what kind of acclimation is required. I am picking them up from the LFS on Sunday. I've been told only temp acclimation is required for about 45mins and also told to simply pour a little tank water in the bag every so often as they are "temp acclimating". Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

These will be my first corals......hope everything goes well.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would typically do as they say. You could always put them in a bucket and use a air line to make do a drip method so the corals get used to the PH and Temp changes. I'm guilty of doing only temp acclamations resulting form being lazy.
    Just like fish, always make sure you do not allow any of the lfs water to get in your tank. Check out the candy cane at night. Its' polyps well extend and are pretty cool.
    Also the candy cane grows much quicker when placed close to your powerheads. They actually blow up like a balloon when happy. It will also be your first stony based coral so time to get a calcium test kit because it will slowly use it.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

No. You also have to acclimate them to the salt level in your tank. You can shock the corals if your salt level is higher than the LFS' water. I would do drip acclimate for about an hour on all.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I agree with rickzter...but usually im too lazy to get a drip so i just add small ammounts of my water to the bag over about 1-1.5 hours.