acclimating corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by hottielover14, Mar 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

No Problem HL14 ;) Good luck with your future coral purchases 8)

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Diver_1298 link=board=Coral;num=1110655780;start=0#8 date=03/12/05 at 20:11:52]Only you JohnO, Only you. Sometimes you make me laugh real hard.
    Even I don't do that any more.
    I at least try to acclimate them to the temperature in the tank before I dump them in. ;)
    Jim[/quote]

But Jim, why? LOL

I can't remember ever losing a coral because of a small temperature change. I figure these are organisms that are normally stuck on a rock, can't move, live in generally shallow water that changes in temp and salinity often, get blown about by waves, crapped on by fish, run into by drunken captains in charge of oil tankers, picked up by collectors, carried in boats then trucks, end up at a LFS, my car, then finally my tank.

My small but sudden temp change ain't gunna hurt 'em none :)

John

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

hehe... I use the same acclimation technique as JohnO...

Advice given to me by 2 LFS....Grab em outta the bag and throw em in ;D

Of course, inspecting for hitchhikers is a MUST!

6. moray

moray Astrea Snail

Hottie, What kind of media do you have in your fluval? This is kind of strange because you seem to have decent equipment and what are your water parameters? I'm not proud to say this but i have been using tap water from the begining of my set up 2 1/2 years in my little 60 gallon reef tank that has Blue tip Acros, Monti's, torch, Crocea Clam, Finger leather that has trippled in size zoos snails and hermits. I have lost maybe 4 crabs and 4 snails in 2 1/2 years.
    Someone told me that red leg hermits only last about 6 months and the rest of mine are still alive and well. The last time i remember anyone having that much difficulty keeping corals was back in 1986 when you would only expect them to live for a couple of months anyway!
    Good luck and i feel for.

7. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i have the filter pad, some carbon, some phosphate remover, and those bio ball things...My:

nitite-0
    nitrate-0
    ammonia-0
    calcium-450
    ph-8.3
    alk-5.0
    mag-1400