Acclimating a Anemone (BTA)

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tronb24, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

what?!

2. Click Here!

3. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes, I have a single Ocellaris Clownfish whos shown absolutely no interest in the anemone. I knew that was a crapshoot so to me it's not the end of the world. She seems pretty content hosting my Candy Canes.

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

well i believe that a LTA are better for "O and P " clowns i have a o clown and a tomato clown the Tclown took rite to the nem and theoclown paid it no attention

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

That's how it should work around here, the passing of info like this. Glad to see I started something good.

Nice addition with the BTA btw. Can't wait to see some pics.

6. tronb24

I stand corrected. I came home tonight from work tonight to find my O. Clownfish molesting my new BTA. Took 4 days but man he looks as happy as can be. Still not that thrilled about about where the anemone settled, but you can still see him from the side. See the crappy video from my phone. ;D

Youtube

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

So no one is else going to question this guy? An anenome should never be float acclimated then tossed in to a tank. Not only is it an invert and like all inverts intolerant to large ph and salinity changes, but it is not an extremely hardy animal. Everything has to be right in a tank for them to thrive.

May I ask how many anemones have you killed?

8. Click Here!

9. tronb24

I was going to question it, but until I saw that's exactly how saltwaterfish.com recommends you acclimate anemones and corals. Watch the flash video they have on their site. I have no idea why and I personally didn't and wouldn't do it. I opted for a 2 hour drip.

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The float method works on some corals, but it is not recommended for inverts due to the intolerance to changes in water chemistry. General rul of thumb is for fish you can float and inverts you drip. For best results drip everything. Minimizes stress when acclimating to a tank.