Acans

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reakwonthachef, May 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

So my cousin has a salt water tank and runs 4 t5 3ft ho's and is always buying very expensive frags that are always dieing. Anyway he bought a 4 head acan that is red/pink and orange 1-2 mo ago and he told me it was dieing. I told him to give it to me and he did. The polyps are still mostly there however its white skeleton is showing around the edges. My questions are:

How far away from my 250 MH light should I put it?
    What are the chances of revival?
    Does it need to be spot fed?
    What kind of acans sell for 70$ for 4 heads?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. surf&turf

surf&turf Plankton

how deep is your tank?
    Acans don't need alot of light so on the sand bed will fine. Not directly under the MH
    They really like to eat so spot feeding will help it recover.
    That price is about right for 4 heads.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

probably your typical acan, feeding will definitely help. just make sure its not getting too much light.

why don't you tell your cousin to join 3reef and see if we can help him. (we most likely will)

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Put it at the bottom on the sand bed, try not directly under the light.

Target feed mysis shrimp or other meaty seafoods. It may not respond by putting out tentacles but keep trying. Make sure no other inhabitants are bugging it while it's eating.

Yes it can make a come back. It will be a little slow if it's not too far gone.

Could be anything in the Acan department., there quite a few different variations. Some can be very pricey.

An image would really help.

Good luck :)

6. Reakwonthachef

Its a 40 breeder. I have been trying to spot feed. I put it in a jello shot container with mysis and baby brine and put a lid on it but no tentacles are coming out. It still retaining its color though that must be a good sign

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Trying feeding it a couple hours after the lights go off. Once it gets the hang of it, it will show a feeding response during the day with introduction of food.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Reakwonthachef

I hope so thanks for the advice

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

acans are quite hardy & a recovery is certainly not out of the question. Most are best served on the bottom with low to medium water flow. acans LOVE spot feeding. once you can get them on a steady schedule acans can sprout new heads like they are LPS zoo's. Well ok maybe not as fast as zoo's but still pretty good growers. lol.

as far as the price its hard to tell. you know how coral in this hobby can be at times. give it an awesome enough made up name and you can sell any coral for whatever price you want.

11. Reakwonthachef

Update:

I left the frag in the jello shot container for 15 mins and no sweeper tentacles but after 15 mins all the food was gone and the heads are inflated now!

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

pics please :)