acans not doing well

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Brian Johnson, Jul 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Plankton

Hi I'm Brian. I'm needing a little help. I purchased some acans about a month ago. They took to the tank really well. And we're thriving until last week. Right after I did a water change they started staying sunk in and not poofy like normal and stop feeding. Checked parameters.
    Ph-8.2
    Nitrate.-0.2
    Calcium-420
    Phosphate-0.25
    Only thing I found off was salinity was 1.021 so I got that up to 1.024 and still no change.
    Only other thing I know is the tank is going through a cycle of brown algae. Does anybody have any ideas.

I have a 180 gal tank
    Filers instead of wet/dry system which is another story
    Led lighting
    And acans r half way down in medium light and medium flow
    Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Brian,

You'll need to get an ALk level as well, you need to monitor and adjust alk values consistently with stony corals, I have found acans to be especially sensitive to swings in alk.

Phosphate values are going to have to come down, I would double check that value.

The low specific gravity or sudden change in Sg has probably stressed the corals. Correct the chemistry and they should come around.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Plankton

Thank u for the info. I will get a alk test. Kit. Didn't thank about the sudden drop in salt. That would also explain why no change with bring it back up to 1.024. Which probably stressed them more.
    If u don't mind me asking still new with the reef. What is a good way to bring down the ph

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Lowering the pH from 8.2? I would be happy with the pH value

Just a bit on SG

If you do find the SG has fallen, you never want to bring it up very quickly. Lowering SG is less stressful than raising SG. Probably the best way to raise it back up if it does fall is to top off with regular SG saltwater until it is at the level you are looking for. This should take several days.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Depends on the pH value. With pH you need to test the same time everyday. In the am right before the lights go on typically the pH will be at it's lowest value, test right before the lights go off for the day and the value will be at it's peak. What you need to do is figure out the difference in those am and pm values to identify a true problem. So please list the pH value and the test you're using to monitor pH. :)

mdbostwick likes this.