acan skeletal base

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by chris adams, Jul 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Quick question.. Wife bought an acan lord with 1 polyp a couple months ago and now has 3 new polyps. My question is how quick does the base grow? It seems to be overwhelming the little base it has. She has not put it into her rock work but it is still on the plug.

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I am going to have her remove from plug and attach to her rocks which will give them more room to move and encrust a bigger surface which I assume is what most of you have done anyways

4. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

If it is growing well i wouldn't mess with it

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

It will create its own skeleton. I had a favia spread out thin like a plate over sand, and my acans throw out another polyp when they are ready. Cutting it off the plug might cause damage but to eat their own.

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

just top clarify it is on a small piece of rock on top of the plug, the polyps are not on the plug itself so should be able to remove it from plug and attach to rocks. However will determine if it will damage it when I do a closer inspection.. then again could just cut the bottom of the plug of and stick that to the rocks. Either way thanks for the input

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Perhaps this will help:

[​IMG]

ALL the polyps are attached to the skeleton, and the polyps build the skeleton as new polyps form and grow.

It doesn't matter what you attach that skeleton to; the coral is going to grow regardless (assuming it's basic needs are met).

1 person likes this.