Acan is not happy.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by crustytheclown, Oct 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

any ideas on what is happening to him?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only thing i can think is that he is getting stung by these annoying brown/red palythoas. I thought for sure he would win the fight?
    Should i dip him and move him somewhere else or will this just stress him more?

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

That looks like its an Acan Echinata, right? if it is I really don't think that the palys are hurting it, I have the same ones and they don't bother anything. And if its an Acan Echinata trust me it would win the war, it would wipe out the palys if they were bothering it.

Also I would not dip it, all thats going to do is stress an already stressed coral and most likely make the situation worse. How much light is it getting.

It really looks to me like it might be getting to much light. I have to keep some of mine in lower light locations. Try moving it to another location and see if that helps it.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

its the palys...I can see a few of them Folding back...which is a sign of aggression, and they release toxins or something to defend them self, i would move those acans ASAP and make sure they are at least 5-6 inches away from any more corals....

I wouldnt say its too much light IMO, because i know someone who has acans at the top of their tank, and they have some 950 some watts of MH, and they can handle a variety of lighting IME,

And another on palys. Palys from my experience are VERY aggressive if you place them close to another coral, or if that other coral is close to it...I have a Acan right next to my Blasto and both of them dont bother eachother..Acans are not as aggressive as you would think, but on the other hand, when you place a small frag of acans right next to a large colony of palys...You bound to have problems..whenever you see palys folding back like that there is a coral too close.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I to would move the acans lower in the tank and away from the palys.

IME acans really do better lower in the tank, just look at most tanks that have them, they are on the sand bed and look great.

IMO it is one of the easist corals to care for, lower light levels than othere LPS, mod flow, and feed directly to see good growth.

6. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

groovy :) thanks guys. Ill let u know how it goes?

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

run carbon if you're not already.

we run carbon to counter these toxins of war.