acan help (irritated, receding corals)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think you should let them be and see if they are mad about the light change.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I will. I'm just looking for any signs of improvement... looking at the pictures, it seems like the candy cane coral may have healed some of the small cuts it had (presumably from the skeleton). I'd really prefer the acans to make if it I have to pick (they surely cost a lot more). I'll take some solace in the fact that they don't look much worse (maybe the same? as yesterday morning?)

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They also seem to be a slower healing than the candy canes IME. If you can get the acans to eat then you are in good shape.

5. jimmy_beaner

Any advice there? They haven't eaten anything the entire time they've been in the tank. Not cyclopeeze, not mysis, not marine pellets... nothing. The guy at the LFS suggested rotifers (he actually said "practically nothing can resist rotifers). I could pick up some frozen rotifers tomorrow if so

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Give it a shot, just remember to shut off the flow and gently deposit some on the acans. Try to feed whenever you see the tentacles out.

7. jimmy_beaner

I've never even seen their tentacles lol. Plus, I have no clue what they'd look like at this point, but I guess I can shine my flashlight in there every once in awhile and check it out.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You'll recognize them when you see them.

[​IMG]

The tentacles are out on the left two colonies.

1 person likes this.
  10. jimmy_beaner

Beautiful picture. I waited until about 2 hours after lights out last night and checked with a flashlight. I saw some very small feeders coming out of the best looking acan so I got out the cyclopeeze and shut off all flow. It looked like the best one ate (swelled up and enveloped) and the second to worst one looked like it had some stuck halfway down its mouth when I turned the flow back on about 20 minutes later so I take that as a good sign. I can also see little flea like things running around that I'm assuming are pods and not things that are eaten the living acan tissue.