acan help (irritated, receding corals)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Just do your normal maintenance, nothing extra needed. You only have part of your corals reacting. If all were then you should do more.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I just hate this... I'm attempting to avoid panic mode

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have burned and destroyed acans and blasto by putting them under too much light. The best thing to do is reduce the lighting period or move them under less direct light. Too many interventions at one time usually leads to a bad outcome, unfortunately.

Rock and a hard spot.

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Check the calibration of your refractometer if you haven't. I went many months assuming mine was right from the manufacturer. Found it to be way off and needs regular calibration.

6. jimmy_beaner

That's part of what is confusing me... the blasto merletti is just as high in the tank as the acan that's receding and it's near the middle so it should be getting even more light than the acan yet it's fully extended and loving life. I moved the acan lower already and reduced the LED intensity as well as the photoperiod (by 2 hours, though maybe another hour would be ok?)

I've been getting my saltwater from the LFS. He sells it at 1.025 (his refractometer) then I check it at home and then once it's in the tank... 1.025 all around. Though I should pick up some good calibration fluid.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it is a lighting issue, corals newly introduced or recently fragged, coming from a different system with a different type of lighting may decline from the photoshock. I am assuming the blastos higher up have been in your tank for awhile?

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

Yes. Since Feb but I just did the LEDs about 3 weeks ago. I did a 30% WC this morning and the second to worst one looked like it was trying to inflate

10. jimmy_beaner

so I just got back from my motorcycle ride, nothing looks worse, though nothing looks better either. I am curious to see if there's any signs of improvement for tomorrow. The RBTA seems to not like the reduced light as it's walking up in the tank, but ultimately it'll survive. Worst case scenario, I could always throw the PC lights back in to see if the LEDs are just too much for the acans right now (I kept the old lighting hook ups functional)

11. jimmy_beaner

I'm sitting here wondering if the addition of the new base rock may have caused this. The small pieces released a cloud into the water that may have temporarily spiked alkalinity (which has now come back to normal levels). Could this cloud have caused this? If so, I suppose the best thing to do is what I'm doing right now and just give it time with reduced lighting.

12. jimmy_beaner

Might as well do some updates (daily if I have to... trying to keep myself convinced I'm doing something to help).

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure what this clearish "ooze" is next to the acan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the healthy looking things...
    [​IMG]
    (it's actually got a snail with some algae on it under the brain coral)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've heard of bugs/spider-like things that might eat the acans... anyone think an Interceptor dip would be a good idea? Or just added stress at this point? Other than the red dot on the 2nd to worst acan, I can't see anything that would suggest they're being eaten.