Acan Enchinata Warfare!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by dowtish, Nov 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Wow. Thats insane. I didnt know their sweepers were that long. Very cool enchinata though.

2. Click Here!

3. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Noob question, please explain what is happening here. Not exactly sure what I am looking at.

4. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I have had my enchinata wipe out half of my acan lords because it was too close. But as you said it is too pretty to get rid of.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

If you notice the pic that barbianj posted, you notice coming from the acan are some squigly little string like things coming out of it and attaching to the blasto beside it. Those squigly things are called sweepers. This is one way a coral survives in the wild. it's a constant battle for real estate if you will. Some corals are considered much more aggresive than others. If you go on a site like live aquaria and look at their corals, they will have a description and there will be a aggressive section. some of these are totally right on and some are not. But Acan Enchinatas are known to be highly aggressive and pack a serious punch with their sweepers. while some corals can be aggresive but just not really do a whole lot of harm. As you can see, my orange monti is completely grey and slimey on the end, and I honestly don't think it will just color back up.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Thanks for bursting my bubble and keeping me from having problems in the future.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That one surprised me, too. It completely engulfed a small head of the Blasto.

It's good to do a late night check every so often to make sure everyone is behaving. Just the other night, I saw this:

[​IMG]

The Duncan was half open for part of the day, but looks to be unharmed. I had never seen extension on the Red Watermelon over 1/2", that night it had 3" extension. :eek:

Sorry to get a little OT, but you gotta watch those sweepers!

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Holy moly, I didn't think they could reach that far.

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Take a look with a flashlight around 3 am. You might be surprised what you see.