Acan dying.... Need help to save :(

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jfenton954, Jan 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

Even under T-5's i have had the same problem
    Nothing has seemed to help. I start them on the sand... Ive moved them up... Shaded them... Perfect water conditons.... everyother coral does great but my acans and i have SPS, LPS, Softies and NonPhoto

2. Click Here!

3. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How many acans have you lost? Were they all from the same source?

4. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

One total loss
    2 half loss
    new one... yesterday found part was dead with white skeleton showing

5. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

my acans are always retracted till part of the outer rim dies away....

6. RichardinMa

Have they all come from the same source?

7. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

no all different sources
    I cant figure it out at all

8. Click Here!

9. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

do you think my large devils hand colony can have something to do with it

10. RichardinMa

How large are these pieces? Over the past few weeks I have received acans from three different sources and they have ranged in size from 1-2 polyp frags to 15-20 head colonies, and overall the bigger ones never skipped a beat. Out of the smaller ones, there were a couple that came from one source that definitely did not like my conditions compared to all the others. There was one small frag that pulled in really tight and the skeleton was showing all around. After about 2 weeks or so of no improvement I moved it to a different tank and after being in there for three days it was fully expanded and looked great. Smaller frags are always going to be more sensitive but I got some little guys from a very good source and they also did great in my tanks right from the start. The source can make all the difference in the world. They don't have to be unhealthy, they need only be accustomed to conditions very different to yours and you can have problems. I can only suggest putting it in a relatively low light-low flow area of your tank and leave it there for at least a week and give it time to adjust. If it does not improve then try a different spot but don't keep moving it every couple days or it will be under even more stress. Do you run GAC?

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Do the Furan 2 dip. It's very inexpensive, and very safe. Acans require very little light, and should grow fast with regular feeding.

Acans also seem to get picked on a lot, so make sure that fish or inverts aren't bothering them.