AC vs DC

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

So how is it exactly that one introduces a phase angle to a DC voltage or current source? Maybe you could draw us a phasor diagram to help demonstrate...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Hmm, I would venture to guess you would add an addtional line source, but again I could be wrong? If this was AC I could answer, but as I said, I am no HVDC expert. Now If my brother was here he could answer you.

But this I do know- DC requires much larger transmission cables (point to point) and additional equipment to allow for the same amperage as AC potential that is readily available, so I ask again, how is this incorrect?

4. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

In a DC circuit there is no phase relationship between voltage and current...

AC phase : BASIC AC THEORY

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

dc has no phase angle, as there is no phase. The phase angle is the difference between two sine waves, and is only applicable to ac, as dc doesn't use sine waves. Square waves are NOT sine waves.

6. alpha_03

wrong- - perhaps you should delve deeper. you leave an AC theory link for concern to DC? Check out RC heliocoptors. or simply type in your browser "3 phase DC"

who said square waves are sine waves? wrong- see the above.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I had said that square waves are A/C..... well at least have the potential to be A/C. Either way, they are not strictly DC.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

Since this seems to be a gang up on the new guy, I will gladly accept the challenge- I have no problem with this. But to get back to the O/P, what have you helped create here- any information of why you buy X pump or X lighting? None- save what I am trying to do- with no help from any of you as of so far. if you help to educate people why something is better then they have better tools to make choices with- why is this wrong?

And BTW, any thing that uses electricity that creates heat is bad, lower wattage usually indicates less heat and less energy consumed- in aquaria- 90% of the time- heat is your enemy when it cannot be easily controlled, therefore, less watts consumed equates to less heat produced- this is a fact, and pretty much the foundation of why I posted this thread. Contrary to the previous post that heat produced from electrical components is good- this is simply not true.

Further more, when I stated efficiency of power I was considering the equation as a whole- from the consumers end point of view- not the point of actual creation, and yet even at that- a total revamp to Pure DC would still be less efficient then an AC grid- period- this is due to production cost from the onset as I have already stated.

And BTW, the most efficient form of electricity known to date is AC to AC conversion- if you know electricity then you know why this is.

Obviously there are several ego's that do not want to help other people under stand why that 12 dollar pump sucks and why the 24 dollar pump is better for many various reasons (mostly electrical), then to heck with it- you win, have your ego's.

Otherwise.....

Now, if you would kindly post reasons why the things you know of that we can use in aquaria are good components to use and why- that would be great.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You are not getting it. There is no phase angle in direct current because there is no reversal of flow. The difference in phase angle is the difference between the phase relationship of current and voltage in a AC curcuit. Reversing flow can induce a magnetic field which can induce an opposite voltage retarding current flow. Capacitance and inductance. Voltage leading current or voltage lagging current. There is no such thing in DC systems. There is no "phase" to direct current.

The only loss in a DC system is resistance. AC systems have resistance, as well as inductance, frequency effects not to mention skin effect losses, and corona discharge possibilities. Just some of the posssible line loss in a point to point AC transmission line. While all those losses are small, they do count.... and DC lines do not have them. So DC is more efficient at transmitting large amounts of power long distances over AC. That makes it more cost effective too. Except initial exspense is higher for DC.

11. alpha_03

No you are not getting check the link I provided- it is cutting edge tech. it's new- even to me. I learned this from my bosses son who flys RC choppers.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You have much to be proud of Junior. Keep up the good work. You are real close to a glod star.

Right.... because putting a heater in a aquarium would be the same as dumping a jug of bleach in.::) Heat is a good thing. Very few places in this country can keep a tank without a heater. While others places need a chiller. You can do a lot of work to minimize heat input into your tank like air cooled external pumps.... but if you need heat then all that heat is truly lost and a waste of energy. Internal pumps would be a much better option to use that heat input more wisely. Yet I'm having a hard time understanding how you wanted to talk about this with your OP.

Skippy, let me help you out. There are plenty here that have valuable real word expertise that can help out... and have helped out... in the area of power consumption and conservation in aquaria. Just because you are new and did not see it today.... well I don't know what to tell you.

Perhaps you may be willing to consider the reason this thread has not gone the way you intitially designed it is perhaps your approach is less than genuine. There does seem to be an ego trying to assert itself. You might want to take a look at that... or not. I could be wrong. What do I know. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.