AC vs DC

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Dc always flows from positive to negative (edit: whoops, negative to positive, not pos to neg), for a very obvious reason. Extra electrons flow to an area deficient in electrons. Protons are positively charged, and when lacking in electrons, they attract electrons from another source, as electrons ate negatively charged. Thats a fundamental principle of electricity that you seem to say hasn't ever been proven.

Electronics of all sorts are driven by generators; theyd be more accurately called movers though. They use magnetism to push electrons out of the conductor, making a gap where electrons move in on the other side of the conductor. AC just switches directions constantly, pushing electrons out then in the out then in on one side, so the actual electrons don't move very far, unlike DC where they will move fully around the circuit.

Anyway, this thread is nearly nothing more than a heavily veiled "bash those comments this guy made and explain why he's wrong/im right" thread, with the intent of providing a form of vindication to the starter. It's the only real motive for bringing this discussion back from its week-old grave.

2. Click Here!

3. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Then what is the purpose of voltage regulators and LTC transformers with line drop compensation?

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Thank God for that too. In some cases, someone close to the discharge point has been able to get to safety due to this. It takes a couple seconds for a path to form. This path of ionizing air can be felt on your skin. So, If you happen to be an idiot standing in the middle of a lightning storm and your skin and hair start tingling.... Get away very, very quickly.

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Sorry I disagree- so please, prove it. Never mind the O/P corrected his typo.

No, again, I disagree, I thought it would make a great conversation- why don't you join in, maybe we can all learn something new and share it with everyone else.

6. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

These devices alter the phase angle (power factor) of the voltage/current to compensate for the line reactance, they do not change the line reactance nor compensate for reactive voltage drop in the line...

alpha_03, what is the power factor of a DC load?

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Increasing voltage decreases current and the need for larger conductors... AC and DC being equal, you need to use larger conductors for DC just because of the difference between true power and appearant power of AC and DC. But that is instalation cost. The savings is not because larger conductors. There is line loss with AC and reactive power that is not lost to DC. There is transformer losses. It is more effecient and cost effective to transmit power over long distances using DC. Point to point. You still have to pay for the conversion, but it will pay for itself eventually.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

hmm, is it reactive or non reactive? Linear or non linear? Usually 1 if it's purely resistive. But that is assuming no distance. Therefore.

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I edited my post with more detail. Im at work on a phone, so I dont have time to post fully.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

And that is true, but we do not supply a terminal voltage above what we need out the door just so the guy at the end of the line has enough.

Generator exciters over or underexcite to make up the difference. Since we are locked to the grid speed does not increase or decrease, the phase angle must change in response which changes VARS. Cat banks are used out in the system to correct the phase angles from volts leading current or visa versa. However, the majority of reactive load is CREATED by inductive motors, not just by the nature of AC power in a conductor. So the inductive loads need to be accounted for because they will effect the phase angle.

12. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Right.

I believe I am thinking more at the distribution substation level...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.