AC vs DC

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

No big deal- simply, dicussion and such. Perhaps why one is better then the other- and the reasons why these ideas hold true.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

And how do you qualify "better". They both have pros and cons. Niether is "best" in every situation.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

???

I wonder what is your motivation for asking a question when you already know the answer. You come across as quizzing. What are you accomplishing here?

5. alpha_03

What am I accomplishing here? Education my friend. You seem offended? Why not anwer the questions and help me with this- can you not see where this topic can lead to?

Better and less expensive aquarium keeping for starters.

Correct lighting for your tank critters.

Proper water flow using the better pumps on the market.

Less heat due to lower electrical usage.

Money savings.

A better understanding of how all your aquarium eqipment functions.

The list goes on and on- gota start some where. :)

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Do I win some prize for my answers. Also I think electric eels are DC.

Does AC ever occur naturally?

7. alpha_03

Depends upon your point of view- what is better is usally what works best for the lowest $$$$.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

yes it does.

no, no prizes, save that you gain additional knowledge, jeeze what is wrong with that?

only one of five correct- you can do better.

Since you got one correct- next question- where does lighting originate from?

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Then you have my apologies. In the short history of your posts, you come across as almost "grading" responses much like a teacher would do with a red pen. I suppose I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Forums are made for exchange of info, if an answer is desired--ask a question and accept what you're given.

I don't see much of this in your threads. I'm not offended, but rather reluctant to address a question that's been pretty well answered by others.

I'll sit back and watch. Thanks for the discussion.

11. alpha_03

Well hey thanks for the support.

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Not really sure how you plan to accomplish the above with the present coversation. The Edison/Westinghouse/Tesla argument while interesting... does not change the fact that we have a AC based distribution system. Nor does it change what current equipment is available to the reef keeping public. Efficiencies are set with what equipment you buy. Knowing how to best utilize equipment and how best to attain flow have more to do with fliud flow than electrical theory.

I for one am all for conservation of resources and lowering power consumption... but in the end electrical use... while it is a measurable exspense... is actually a small one compared with the other expenses of this hobby.

And heat is not a bad thing.... tanks need to be heated above room temp. Just depends if you have exsess heat. That depends on the thermodynamics of your given system. Lots of physics going on here, but many questions will not be answered with a discussion of AC vs. DC. Maybe it's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.