about to buy 200 GAL. WAT SETUP???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by i love eggos, Dec 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

If your family is as enthusiastic about it as you are, go for it!

2. Click Here!

3. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I understand you will be away for awhile. Setting up a reef aquarium and leaving I wouldn't suggest doing. I am not sure if you understand the attention to detail and hands on experience a reef tank needs in the beginning to make it successful in the long term.

Part of the fun of this hobby (for me) is planning and researching. You may not be getting a lot of hits because you are essentially asking us to do all that for you. You may be better off checking with a local professional who can do those things for you. Any ideas we come up with would be our ideas and I think that would take away from the "attachment" you are hoping to gain by purchasing this large aquarium.

As you can see from the countless threads each one of us has a different idea of the best lights, or the best skimmer etc. Each tank has different needs at different times and requires a lot of attention and different equipment. I am sorry if this has a negative tone as I am not trying to be a nay sayer but more of a realist.

If you can give us some ideas of which direction you are headed we can give you our input.
    P.S. I am really trying to help and not be a jerk.

4. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

5. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I'd also point out that Mead is in North Spokane. So be prepared for a big task of moving that across the mountains if you're in the Seattle Area.

6. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

thanks for all the responses you guys are the bees knees! I think I'll check out that place in renton and see what they say (I still plan on building this monster myself) but was just wondering how about how much does it cost to have a professional come and install a new tank: like from a 200 to 400 gallon: in comparison to doing it myself. just curious.

7. mkcat

mkcat Astrea Snail

Just a thought, but what about doing a FOWLR with just a few really easy soft corals like mushrooms and Xenia? 4500 for that set up sounds awesome. I've got double that in a 150 set up.

8. Click Here!

9. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

Yea that sounds ok but i really want one of those big mama reef set-ups that you see on youtube n magazines with live rock stacked with a bunch of anemones floating back and forth. i want a show stopper something I can just stare at for hours and go "I made that possible, with all my effort I created something that grew from nothing into something beautiful" and no matter what I make sure that my tank stays and grows into a natural beauty for as long as I live. I want grown men to weep when they see it, I want to take pictures and videos of it to show to random people and say "these are my babies, I raised them myself......what can i say, they take after their father"
    I know I didn't really answer your question but I think you might understand what i mean.:kiss:

10. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Aha I get it. But just keep its simple and stick with Lps and softies. I think hiring a maintenance man is a good idea but you family still needs to know everything inside out. How long until you go on "vacation"? Take advantage and learn about reefing with your family before you leave.

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Dont we all... lol sorry i couldnt get back like i said i would but these folks covered things well. I think being absent from a tank for more than 6 months at a time is crazy. They need to be cared for like babies, if not more!!! A controller on the tank would let you monitor params from a cell phone, or computer. Then from there you could instruct your family on what to do, assuming you know the ropes of keeping a tank.

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hey Eggos, did you check that build thread I sent you? thats grim 210 its an amazing reef with an awesome LED set up