about to buy 200 GAL. WAT SETUP???

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by i love eggos, Dec 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Youll want to out your family through a non stop reefing boot camp. They need to learn every aspect of how the system works and each component. Unfortunately with a reef that big they'll need to really learn about it, they can't just follow written instructions everyday.

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

There are a couple things in your post that give me pause.

First is your budget and the size tank you want. For the money you mention you could probably find a used set up on Craigs List and be able to stock it a little. New, it might be tough. Here is a "back of the napkin" estimate:

Protein Skimmer: ~$700
    Lights: ~$800 - $1500
    Main Pump: ~$350
    Circ Pumps: ~$250
    Heaters: ~150
    Salt: ~$75
    Sump: ~$300
    Calc Reactor (if you go with one): ~$500
    RO/DI unit: ~$200

Live Rock: ~300 lbs @ $5-$10/lb = $1500 - $3000
    Sand: ~$200

That's roughly $5500 - $7500 - NOT INCLUDING LIVESTOCK OR TANK/STAND!

Secondly, and others have mentioned this, is that a reef tank is more than something to put in a house as a conversation piece. It's a way of life and if you don't know what you're doing it takes time or instead of being a beautiful centerpiece to remember you by, it becomes an eyesore and time suck that is more of a problem than anything else.

My recommendation would be that, if you really want to do this, spend a fraction of of what you're talking on a smaller tank and use the remainder to hire a maintenance company. That way your family has someone to do the main chores associated with the tank, someone they can trust to make good decisions on helping them pick livestock and they can enjoy it more.

4. SwimsWithFish

My recommendation would be that, if you really want to do this, spend a fraction of of what you're talking on a smaller tank and use the remainder to hire a maintenance company. That way your family has someone to do the main chores associated with the tank, someone they can trust to make good decisions on helping them pick livestock and they can enjoy it more.[/QUOTE]

Yes!!! Get a small 55-75 gallon tank and have a company take care of it. Unless you and your sister want that 300 gallon tank in her house for ever, you'll want a smaller tank. Big tanks are ment to be perminant.

5. SwimsWithFish

This is none of my business but why not start the tank when you come back? You'll have piece of mind knowing its in your hands.

6. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I am going to add to what Rocketman Said...I have a 125gal tank and I can easily attest to spending $2,000-$3,000 already. It's not just the initial setup but it's all the costs to keep it running as well.

Also, I think what others may have failed to mention was that we can't tell you what to get w/o you doing your own work. What you are asking (sounds like to me) is tell you what you need, you go buy it, set it up then add fish..it just isnt that simple. Not only do you have about the type of fish you have but also you will need a QT tank, a tank to store extra RODI water and increase in your water/electricty bills. If your family members dont know what they are doing (i.e know how much salt to water ratio to get to the proper salinty) then they may/likely kill everything in the tank

7. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

I know it sounds as if I might be getting in waaaaay over my head and that I think what Im about to try to do is going to be easy, or that I just decided a week ago that I was going to get into this hobby. I assure you that I (for the most part) fully understand what I'm getting into. I understand the enormous % of complete failure that I am faced with. I assure you that this has been a dream of mine for years and have done about 2 1/2 years of research and constant studying/researching for this exact set-up (i mean practically everyday: 20-30 books cover to cover and over and over, magazines, and countless hours on the internet). I know this doesn't mean ish when it comes to hands on experience and trial and error. and yes it would seem more practical and sane to start out small and build up or to hire a professional who knows what they're doing. I agree with all your concerns and suggestions. I know I sound stupid and crazy for attempting something of this caliber but I am recently faced with the fact that I might be locked up (i mean on "vacation") for possibly several years, several years with nothing to do but think about all years of life I'll never get back while Im stuck in a cage going crazy. I apologize for rambling on I just want to explain my situation and how much this aquarium means to me, how much it means to my family and loved ones and why Im taking on such a ridiculous task for someone who's never had a reef or saltwater tank of any kind. its because this tank will represent something for me and for my family, friends, loved ones all of which are fully on board to help me make this dream of mine come true. Sorry for dragging on you guys don't wanna hear my problems I just want to assure you I understand the mountain I'm going to try to climb and that I understand the possibility of failure that comes with it.
    UPDATE:
    here are some of the tanks Im looking at:
    360 Gallon Aquarium
    Korallin calcium, protien skimmer, Reverse Osmosis for fish tank
    fish and coral tank for sale
    Super Fish Tank--w/ Oak Pedestal

I plan on a 200-400 tank.
    I will put pretty much new everything on it. (filtration, Lighting, act)
    But basically I just wanna know:
    IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOES WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
    $show me what your dream is$

8. Click Here!

9. i love eggos

i love eggos Plankton

10. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

If I were your shoes and this being my dream, I would wait..Trust me I know it sucks to hear that now but in the long run you will be better off. At least you will be able to admire that hard work you put into it.

11. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I can't comment on other Seattle Area stores, but I'm in a reef club from Spokane, and Barrier Reef Aquariums in Renton is one of our sponsors. I've never been to their store, but their website looks like it might be worth you checking out.

12. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

If you are really willing to commit and drop $5K on this it looks to be a great tank for the price. Keep in mind though you may want to check with a LFS and ask about their willingness to hold the livestock while the tank re-cycles after you move it to your home. Then as stated earlier, I would hire either a LFS or local maintenance company to take car of the tank while you are gone. Depending on who you use for this they may be willing to train your family on how to properly take care of it on their own and then you can save money but I would use a service until then.