about salt

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nickthelionfish, Apr 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nickthelionfish

nickthelionfish Astrea Snail

i have a 36 gallon tank and since im new to tanks how much salt should and are there diffrent kinds if so which is the best

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

which is best- many people have their own opinions, I like reef crystals, but have also used corallife and red sea

how much salt - the salinity to go for is 1.025 - 1.026

I dont know any sceintific measuring methods but in your tank allowing for rock work , you will have approx 30 gallons of water so if it where me, I would buy a 50 gallon bag of salt and mix about 3/5th,s into my RO water and then adjust if required

Steve

4. nickthelionfish

thanks for the advice

1 person likes this.
  5. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I use IO reef crystals only...they just come out with a new mix that is supposed to have more mag. and cal. for coral growth. If you usr this brand of salt...the ratio is 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of RO/DI water for a specific gravity of 1.022. I mix a little more than 1/2 cup per gallon of h20 to be at a SG of 1.025-1.026. Hope this helps!

6. nickthelionfish

thanks alot guys this helps

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

If this is a fish only tank with live rock, you can just use Instant Ocean, Its cheaper. But if it is reef go with Reef Crystals or Oceanic (Higher Cal and Mag)

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Red Sea Coral Pro is one of the best salt(based on the numbers of the big three) D&D H2Ocean is really nice as well but the cost on it is nuts.
    Oceanic is very Ca and Mg heavy.
    Coralife is very cheap as well and the Ca is almost 650ppm!!!

IO is a decent salt for a starter that is doing a FO tank. If you start with more Ca demanding inverts you will either want to switch salts or supplement the IO.

Red Sea is a great everyday salt that isn't too pricey and comes in 200gal buckets

Happy reefing!

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would really get something to measure the SG a refractometer or a hydrometer. Then add salt until you reach the desired SG something in the range of 1.024 - 1.026

I use Reefers Best but really if you are just starting out you do not have to go with the really expensive salt

J