? about buying acans

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Sadie, Feb 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

No problem. I figure that I have tons of pics that can help someone, it's a good use of my time to search through for the right ones.

On the left, that's a goniastrea. It's in the favia family, but is a higher light coral than the other favias (or, more accurately, it can live in a larger range of lighting conditions than other favia, with most of that extra range in the high direction), and needs more flow than the others can usually tolerate. It's kinda growing down onto the outside of its skeleton now, which is why it has the droopy look.

The one on the bottom right is a large-ish pearl bubble coral. Feed them heavily, and that's what you get. If you don't feed it, it'll have a less "full" look. They can grow tissue far faster than skeleton, so when you feed a bunch, they grow extra tissue, but not skeleton to support it, and it bunches up like that.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

+1 on blackraven1425's pictures. Also, I tend to stay away from fresh cut frags, and pay close attention to the outer rim, where new growth appears. That area should also be "puffy", not receding or showing skeleton in any areas. Besides general health of the heads, the outer rim, IMO, is what will determine whether I buy an Acan or not. Algae growing anywhere on the frag is a bad sign.