A wet subject.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bekendbrt, Jul 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bekendbrt

bekendbrt Plankton

So, after browsing random topics for my own etification, I noticed that the term "distilled", in regards to water is thrown around a bit.

I know there is a difference between both purified and distilled water, distilled water being chemically pure and purified water having impurities removed from it. I know that with a cells need to balance the composition of itself with it's outside environment via, that chemically pure water isn't necessarily the best for freshwater fish [I guess this is why we're told not to drink it]. I was wondering how this would translate in a saltwater environment.. for example is it better to use purified bottled water instead of distilled water? Or would I be ok chemically conditioning tap water with something sold at a pet store? Or does adding a high quality salt to distilled water make it fish safe? What's the best option for topping off a tank?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information 8)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It depends on the distilling process. I think there is one that uses steam somehow that was cool if I recall. There is one with copper tubing that some say is not cool. Hopefully someone can elaborate. :)

The best option IMO, is to get your own RO/DI unit... after a year or so you will start saving money or at least hassle.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Distilled water is purified via evaporation, The water is heated to form steam, When the steam cools it causes condensation and thus turns back to it's original state minus the impurities that are left behind. That is the same reason you only have to add water back to your tank instead of salt water as the salt is left behind when the water evaporates from your tank. There are no chemicals used in distilled water.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I believe the reason for using RO/DI water verses distilled is the cost, I think that distilled waters cost is higher to produce than RO/Di But I may be wrong I am just Assuming this to be the case.