A unique opportunity to help a reef. Possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Monacle, Aug 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Jeff, that fills in the blanks. Looks like I have something to look up on Google Map. 8)

So are you training your son to handle the garage while you will be gone? :)

2. Click Here!

3. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

lol.... nah.... I got the wife pretty well trained now. I will keep the tanks up and running and let my bonded pairs mature, but will probably put the raising of fry on hold while I am away. By my timelines, of when I expect the first batches of eggs to be laid, I should actually be back by then. This whole project may not even happen if I cannot find the funding, but we are having some small success now, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

I just want to publicly thank those who have already contributed and thank those again in advance that are going to. Thank you! I really believe we are in the midst of doing some real good here.

Jeff Bushaw

GLTA

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I decided to save $75 on a locksmith. ::)

Back in March (while the temperature here was low in the 30's each morning), I managed to lock myself out of the house. It's a ranch house with a walk-out basement. (I.e. one-story in the front and two-story in the back). My deck that goes to the kitchen on the "second-story" in the back doesn't have stairs leading up to it. As a result, it is never locked. I climbed up the pole to get to the deck and for a change....this time it was locked.

As a result, I had to climb back down. During this process, I was unfortunately holding onto some railing that had some dry-rot. It broke and I fell back-first towards the concrete patio of my walk-out basement. I knew to kick out my legs but I was falling partially sideways. As a result, only my left leg was able to cushion me. (The doctor said that my broken ankle and ruined knee saved my life).

By God's grace, Jason (a handyman) came over that day for a project he was hired for and found me. My walkout patio was surrounded by a privacy fence and I was only capable of laying there and shivering for the hours before he found me. None of my neighbors would have ever seen me laying there. Rachel wasn't going to be back until Monday. I surely would have froze to death between Friday morning and Monday afternoon had Jason not found me.

In short, I should be dead. If not dead, I should be paralyzed. Thank God, I'm neither.

5. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Wow!! So true about God's grace. I have experienced it myself countless times. I am glad that you are okay, I hope you make a full and speedy recovery..... What about the knee? Are they going to have to rebuild it? If so and you have the choice.... go cadaver. I know a few people two went cadaver, and had fast recoveries with little problems, and the other used her own parts to rebuild the knee, and her recovery has taken over 7 months and will probably not be back to 100% for another 7 months. I'm not even sure yours can be rebuilt, I was just assuming..... Hope so. GLTY
    GLTA

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Oh my Lord. I am so glad that your handyman was around that day Curt! We just don't bounce like we used to when we were younger aye :) Heal well and please do keep us updated on how you're doing!

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Holly mac CURT that is an insane story. I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. and you will recover. I imagine it's hard to look at the bright side, but like you said your not parallelized.

J

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

As for the opportunity for Monacle I truly believe it would be a once in a life time opportunity. But again this is a business venture. A Risky one at that. So I can understand the mind set of asking for donations. But I would be more interested in investing and not giving.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ditto :)

11. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

We are accepting investments as well. As you said the venture does carry with it some risk. That is why we are not guaranteeing the return. We would like to see more donations than investments, but we will take what we can get. Instead of thinking about how this project will make money, try and think about the good things that it is doing for the reef. Think about the thousands of pounds of corals and fish that are just plucked out of the ocean and put on a store shelf for you to buy. How long do you think that will last before someone cuts it off completely? Look at what Vietnam's reefs look like today. How about Tonga, Marshall Islands, or Fiji? I have an investment plan put together with a business plan if anyone would like to see or hear it, please P.M. me and I will get back to you. The first prospectus of the project looks like it could be quite lucrative in the long run, but there is a looooooot of work that needs to be done, before any money starts coming in. Thanks for your replies.

GLTA

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

One huge point to considder if your planning on doing any MO oriented business.....transportation: you have to have access to an international airpoirt with fairly regular flights, with very few connections. Many exporters have to strike deals with airlines in order to even garuantee space. It's tricky, especially in tourist spots like Micronesia. Second, CITES and Micronesian country law: two big hurdles. IIRC, Micronesia doesn't allow export of MO and I have yet to see any CITES quotas from that country.

I can be of assistance in this area, if you like. I have a pretty vast knowledge of this, and major connections. I don't have much time, but I can point out things that are glaring outr at me, like tha above.