A Review of the CAD Lights Pipeless Skimmer

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bababooy

bababooy Plankton

cool

it will work great on a system that size

if you've already got a skimmer running now, I would save a little skimmate in a pipette or syringe in case the pls100 skimmer needs a push after a couple days of running. Mine didn't do anything until the second day when I noticed it finally starting to build a tiny bit of consistent foam, so I went ahead and squirted a bit of old skimmate into the neck and WHALLA. It never lost the head after that and has been stable ever since.

Happy Reefing

Tivo

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mkj

mkj Plankton

I got the pipe less a few days ago for my 45G. Are you still happy with this skimmer? I've put Teflon on mine. My sump actual runs with 10.5" water level so I just raised my skimmer to the 8.5" level. How can you tell if its in optimum water level. Is there something I should be looking for, or as long as its within the recommended 7-10" it will be good? I've always had hang on skimmers so I'm not experienced with water level optimization with sump skimmers. Thanks in advance for any reply ;D

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sorry I missed your post mkj - you should be pretty good at 8.5" - I ran mine at 9". I'd keep the water level at the white ring at the top of the cone if memory serves. EDIT - no actually it was right here:

[​IMG]

For the record - I just got this news from CAD Lights about an update for the PLS-100:

5. electric-dan

electric-dan Astrea Snail

6. mkj

mkj Plankton

Thanks Matt for reply and new info.

My experience after 6 weeks. Runs great when it works. For some reason every 2-3 days the bubbles stop being produced. I have to turn the skimmer off for a second and back on to get the bubble again. Needless to say, this is very annoying. Contacted CanLights and waiting for reply. Right now I rate it as a 1 out of 5. If I can get this fixed, I would rate it at a 4 out of 5.

The only other problem is, watch out when you turn this skimmer on. It will shoots water into the cup or if the cup is off will shoot water everywhere until enough water has entered the cylinder so there's back pressure. Not sure if this is normal for this type of sump skimmer. I'm no expert and have only owned this skimmer and a HO Remora, but my Remora didn't have this problem.

My rating so far out of 5:
    build +1
    size +1
    adjustability +1 (using Teflon)
    efficiency -1
    leave it and forget it -1
    = 1/5

If I can fix the no bubbles problem then those - turn to +, and its a 4/5. I still take 1 point for the water shooting problem. Although this may be a problem with all skimmers of this type.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That sounds a bit like an issue I had when it would get clogged with Chaeto. Have you checked the pump?

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Or a clogged airline.

1 person likes this.
  10. mkj

mkj Plankton

nope all clear. I was thinking maybe the Teflon was making a separation of the 2 parts somehow. So I'm waiting on the new part for 2.0 and taking off the Teflon, hoping that will fix it.

11. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I had this happen also,removed the Teflon and went with the hoover belt and it hasn't happened since.Still waiting for my tension lock from Cadlights.

12. coma

coma Plankton

i just recieved my PLS-100 skimmer. But for some reason the pump is really noisy, it can easely be louder than my tv, did any one else have any isues like this? it sounds like vibrations from the pump, and even when i hold the skimmer in mid air in the water, the noisy is really really loude. Did any one else experience this isue?