A new beginning

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JohnO, Jul 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Wholistic? Really?

John

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

yeah, so I can't spell..... [smiley=tounge2.gif] [smiley=tounge2.gif] [smiley=tounge2.gif]
    [smiley=wave.gif]

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OH Sorry, I thought it was intentional LOL

[smiley=wave.gif] to you too :)

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I don't know about that rock John it looks kinda fish :)

Great to see you take the plung once again. Soon you'll forget what life was like without the taste of saltwater always in your mouth and the smell of coral on your hands.

Can't wait to learn all the tricks you've been hideing.

J

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Real nice stand John!
    And that tank looks good too.

Were you doing a little polishing with that filter?

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason

Now, you'r not suggesting that it's fake, are you? ;D

Anyway, life is a lot more stable for me so I was encouraged to take the plunge again ( pun intended ). No tricks or secrets I promise :)

Matt,

I bought the stand and hood, ( yet to be revealed ) and just stained them. It's looks OK but I'll probably give it another coat.

When I added to substrate there was a lot of fine particulate matter so I hooked up the cannister filled with Dacron from the local Haberdashery shop. Cleared the water in just a few hours. I intend to keep the cannister working 24/7 in the stand, probably half Dacron and half Chemi Pure, but that can wait until after I get some life in the tank.

Already have an Ammonia reading too, which makes me happy :)

JOhn

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Alright JohnO!!! Good looking beginning. I'll be joining you soon in the land of pumps running and coralline growing.
    [smiley=party010.gif] [smiley=upsidegrin.gif] [smiley=victory.gif]​

I'll be following your progress closely and with much joy!!

Drew

10. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Looks like your off to a great start John. I look forward to watching this one turn into a beauty.

On a side note what are you trying to dispell??

mike

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=mojoreef link=board=General;num=1091087558;start=15#27 date=08/03/04 at 08:02:30]Looks like your off to a great start John. I look forward to watching this one turn into a beauty.

On a side note what are you trying to dispell??

mike[/quote]

Thanks Mike

I do appreciate your ( et al ) encouragement, it really does help :)

The word 'dispell' is a bit strong in the context of what I am doing. There will be no scientific studies or data :) Just a small mainly picture reference of the tank and how it proceeds using the methods I have applied before. I believe in the adage " Make haste slowly" so the tank will be allowed to mature with only one small piece of live rock, and once the tank is cycling properly a small fish. Then a gradual build up of animals, as each cycle stabilises.

Now I realise that I will still go through the diatom/algae stages, that's a given fact, but I think what will happen is that these stages will be reduced because the initial cycle wont be as strong as it would have been if I used a lot of 'live' rock intially or stocked the tank too quickly.

With the other 3 tanks I have had in the past I also never did a regular scheduled water change and I am not going to do that with this tank either ( unless something dramatic happens of course )

Other than that just some experimentation with water movement and plumbing :) Wet feet are my specialty LOL

John

12. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Yea I agree going slow is always best. On the tank I have now It was about 3 months before I added a fish, started with corals at about 5 months. I had all my corals from the previous tank sitting in a friends tanks so it was very had to resist temptation, lol.
    I agree with you also on the smaller cycle and blooms after by using less live rock. your cycle is basically just a bacterial bloom, so less food given to it makes for less of a bloom.
    On the water changes, I dont really advertise it much but my water is about 4 years old and has never been changed, even then it was from the ocean so only God knows how old it is for sure.

keep the pictures coming.

MIke