A new beginning

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JohnO, Jul 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

That blue linkia is awesome JohnO!

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OK, so much for the animals, now for the bland boring stuff. The tank after 3 months has gone through the normal diatoms, brown algae, hair algae, cyanobacteria stages and has done so fairly quickly.

I'm not saying these thing will not re-appear BTW, that's just the situation as at today.

I run a Fluval 404 in the cabinet and the return water is directed back into the tank via a SCWD via some PVC piping ( refer to pics ). Inside the 404 are the normal filter sponges and some phosphate remover and some nitrate remover. I deliberately did not include the 'noodles' that come with the filter as I wanted this to be a mechanical and chemical filtration system only. I also run 4 bags of Chemi Pure in the cannister.

The cannister is THOUROUGHLY cleaned every week.

There is no skimmer on the tank as yet, although I did receive delivery today ( YAY ) of a skimmer ( THANK YOU ALL THE PEOPLE AT SALTYCRITTER ) and once it is up and running I intend to remove the phos and nitrate beads, but leave in the Chemi Pure.

I also have not changed any water in this tank since day one, even after the puffer and boxfish died I could see there was no reason as other fishes were still alive and thriving. Probably the only time any new water enters the system is via the cannister filter, because as I clean it, I empty it and put a small amount of salt in the fresh water fill. So if you want to call that a water change then so be it.

Water evaporation is topped up with tap water. I do own a RO unit but have seen no difference now or in the past between the water that come from the unit as compared with tap water.

Lighting is 2 x 55w pc, nothing special.

I have probably forgotten a whole lot of other stuff, but I am getting hungry and need to eat. LOL

John

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Gee John! I'm so sorry you've had such bad luck with your fish. Sorry for your loses. I found one of my blue green chromis dead tonight. Its a lousy feeling. I threw him in the back yead.

Your tank looks great! It looks like you've got all kinds of neat things in there. Thanks for the pics!

Cindy

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Cindy,

Some bad luck, some bad management, some bad decisions on my behalf :) That's the way it goes :)

John