A new beginning

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by JohnO, Jul 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

The best of luck ....................... John ;)

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Hey John!

Thanks for the link on the reading tree. I ordered the book on line the other day that you suggested -Coral Propogation- and requested his autograph.

Today he gave me a surprise and called me at the house. There was a glitch in his computer and he wasn't sure which book I was ordering. He also has a book on invertebrates-don't remember the name. Really nice guy ! We must have visited on the phone for close to 30 minutes. He had some good suggestions for me.

Anyway, thanks again!

What kind of skimmer are you getting?

Cindy

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Cindy,

That's great, he is a very smart man, that's for sure :)

The skimmer is an Aqua C Remora Pro :)

John

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Sounds like a winner to me John. Mine is also from the Aqua C people. They seem to have a pretty good reputation for their product, although someone on RC was questioning whether my skimmer was adequate enough for my 120 gl. He was either inferring that or that mine wasn't operating properly. I'm not sure . He's not responded back yet. I have an Aqua C EV 120.

I ordered a new sump today to be built by Marc from DFWMAC Dallas Ft. Worth Marine Aquarium Club. He's the president of the group . He seems to do a really nice job with them and has a great web site. www.melevsreef.com. I'm excited about getting it.

Cindy

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Cindy,

I haven't seen the Aqua C product over here before, but it seemed to be highly regarded by some of the people on 3reef I though it worth trying :)

I wont comment on the opinions of some people at RC :) but as you can probably guess from my attitude, they deserve each other :)

Well, make sure you send us all the pictures of the sump :) Just so we can pinch some of the good ideas :)

John

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

We want pics of your stuff too John!

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

What stuff? My glass tank and my Fluval 404 cannister filter? OK :)

John

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I'll get you some pics once I get it, however, if you go back to the link I gave you, click on it and scroll down to the bottom left. I think it says Check out These Sumps. Mine will be more like MOdel F. I like Marc because in his sites he's not really trying to sell them but will give you all of his ideas so that you can make your own. Haven't met him yet but he seems like a really good guy. He's just put up a 280 gl tank.

Cindy

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=General;num=1091087558;start=105#105 date=09/01/04 at 21:03:17]We want pics of your stuff too John![/quote]

Here you go Craig

Instead of the actual pictures here are some links instead

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/3836/NewTank225.jpg

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/6743/NewTank226.jpg

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/7513/NewTank227.jpg

Currently I am just running a Fluval 404 connected with a SCWD on the return. I still have the surface skimmer to install this weekend together with the Remora skimmer ( if it turns up in time )

You will notice that the live rock ( in the middle ) has a good covering of hair algae at the moment. It seems to be receding and coraline is taking it's place. There are a few spots of Cyano on the sand bed, but I am blowing at those with Annicks turkey baster

Even though the dead rock I used does have a light covering of green algae I am not really that concerned as only 2 weeks ago it had a covering of brown algae and I think the green will pass just as quickly

John

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Looking good John! What is the round coral, the one by the fish. Its real pretty. I especially like the UFO in your tank! ;D

Cindy