a lot of red fuzz all over

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bustaslick, Nov 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

im still battling this algae problem, have a dkh test on the way, ill let you know what it turns out as... i upgraded my skimmer to a remora hob, and also have a Ro/Di on the way... but the algae, its not coming off the coral easily. i pick some of it off, unable to get all of it, kind of sticks to it. if i keep my parameters in check will it eventually just die off or what.

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Wow, now that looks like a real bad red/green hair algae problem. You can do water changes until your phosphates drop and also dropping the nitrates will help. The most drastic thing you can do at this point is to brush it off with a toothbrush and introduce fish that will help keep the algae under control. IME, nothing has messed with hair algae that big.

I recommend a sailfin blenny to control algae growth on rocks and sand; hermits and cerith snails will keep the reef clean. If you also have the space and rock setup, get a tang. Zebrasoma flavescens is a crazy algae eater and nice lookin'!

For the alge in the sand, stir it up! Dont let it settle and thrive, disturb it! Brush the red hair off the rocks asap. Are those zoo's or is it a goniopora? It's gonna get to it if you dont act quick!

4. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

when you brush the hair algae i suggest you do your water change at the same time with a small tube and try to take out the algae with it because if you leave the algae in suspension it will hook on anything in your tank and grow back.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, eventually. Have you done anything for water quality besides the skimmer upgrade since you originally posted about your algae? Have you started running new carbon and/or a phosphate sponge? What kind of bulbs are you using in your set up. I'm specifically wondering if the bulbs have the word "Sun" or "Daylight" written anywhere on them?

6. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

the only filtration i have been using is the skimmer, this new one works great by the way.. lots of skimate. the bulbs i use are:

"Sunpaq"POWERCOMPACT 65W DUAL DAYLT 6700K/10000K
    "sunpaq"POWERCOMPACT 65W DUAL ACTINIC 420/460 NM
    just changed them a week ago (after just under a year of use)

Furthermore, I am still awaiting my RO/DI, should be here on friday. i will run water test in the morning and let you know where the kh is at.
    i do about a 4-5 gallons biweekly water change. should this be more frequent? fewer gallons in the water change? thanks for all your feedback. -trev

7. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

alveopora, and a starburst coral.. with the starburst being overrun

8. Click Here!

9. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm certainly no expert as I'm new to this, but I would remove the rock and give it a good scrub in a separate tub to get rid of as much of it as I could. Or even better a siphon it out.

Aggressive skimming should also keep it in check and I've read that having a good waterflow is good to stop the algae from settling.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I hate to mention to you that bulbs with the words "Sun" or "Daylight" in them are somewhat notorious for causing algae. Something about the spectrum being "wrong" for a reef tank but perfect for growing algae. As for your water changes, I would stop until you get the r.o. unit because if you've got nitrates, phosphates or other nasties in your tap water, you're just putting more into the tank than you're taking out. Also, you'll want to start running carbon and a phosphate sponge right away.

11. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

ok the results are in....
    ph=8.0
    ammonia=0
    nitrite=0
    phosphate=.05
    nitrate=0
    calcium=525 (i think)
    kh in dkh= 8.2
    alk in meq= 2.9

i have a whisper power filter which uses a carbon bag and a sponge, is that a good solution?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your alk is at the low end of acceptable so I would try to get that up. You want about 10-12 dkh or higher. I'm also wondering what your magnesium is at? If you don't keep your magnesium levels at 1200 or higher, your alk and calcium will continue to fight each other and you'll never get them up where you want them to be.

The carbon in the filter is fine but a regular sponge won't remove phosphates so if you can fit a phosphate sponge in the filter, go ahead and do that. You might also want to look into replacing your bulbs with bulbs that have a more "proper" spectrum when it's time for new.