a lot of brown algea

Discussion in 'Algae' started by dlaclo, May 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

talk about a lot of brown algea lol, i know it is a part of teh cycling process but man it is ugly to look at, oh i though having macro was supossed to prevent this from happening.

2. Click Here!

3. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I'm in my 4th week of my new set-up and the brown stuff is taking over.

Hang in there, it should go away.

4. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

yeah i will i just didnt think it was going to get this bad being as i have a 10 gal tank full of macro

5. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

hmmm how do i tell if it is a diatom? it looks like there are plankton (little white thing swing everywhere in my tank) tons and tons and tons of them. all of my coral are open except my yellow pollops. by the way i didnt put lights on my tank till last thursday night at the same time i bought my frags. the algea has lots of of bubbles on it it is really weird

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  6. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

ok someone please help the brown algea or diatoms are out of control my whole tank is brown and my corals are starting to close

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Greg, having macroalgae is a great addition, however, if your water parameters are out of whack and your nutrient level(phosphates and nitrates mainly) is elevated, the macro will not elimintae your micro problem and if anything may spur a growth spurt of both macro as well as MICRO algae, which you are finding out at this time!
    Hang in there...

8. Click Here!

9. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

OKM tOM BUT WHY ARE MY CORAL CLOSING UP? ALSO SHOULD I DO A WATER CHANGE? WILL THAT HELP OR JUST PROLONG THE ALGEA ALSO HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE IN AVERAGE FOR IT TO STOP TAKING OVER MY TANK LOL

10. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

What are your parameters at? If we know this we can help you out more on how to get rid of it, and to help out your corals. It might not be the algae hurting your corals either. What type of lighting do you have.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The algae could be aggrevating your corals, however I think it is a much deeper issue(water parameters) as I mentioned above.
    I wish I knew how long algae(certain strains and various micros/cyanobacteria) last! I could be rich...LOL
    You just have to take into consideration all the underlying aspects of micro growth and try to curb it!
    If one thing doesn't work, try another til you come up with the right key to its demise!